Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The TP2050 is always push-pull, either as a half-bridge or full-bridge. The SURE board runs 2 full-bridge sections in parallel. Switch-mode audio amps have to work in push-pull mode. Single-ended switchers are used in 'buck' or 'boost' dc-dc convertors, but to get 4-quadrant operation, (sourcing and sinking current on both +ve and -ve half-cycles), switchers need to be push-pull.

Could it be that the tp2050 also sounds better when not paralleled?

IMO yes.

41Hz Amp4 is unparalleled, Amp11 is paralleled. The sound is very very similar, but there's a difference. There's more "magic" in the unparalleled Amp4 sound, but the Amp11 does seem to have an edge in the bass department. (I prefer the Amp4 over the Amp11 myself, but still the Amp11 is my favorite over any other amp I've heard.)

The layout in these two amps isn't 100% identical (while the components are). This could explain the difference in the sound, but I believe that the different topology is the biggest reason for the different sound.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of putting the board together with the 36V meanwell inside a box. Should I have any seconds thougts about that? My meanwell doesn't get any warm at all, and I havn't heard the fan yet. Also the board doesn't get very warm. Is there any other reason not to have the meanwell next to the board?

Game over

Its going from bad to worse for me. Been running the amp on its good channel, now there is no sound... Board is warm and the fan has stopped. Disconnect the mains and turn on again and the fan runs for a second then stops....

Sounds like game over. It probably over heated from the shorted caps on the other channel and fried the chips. Now you can try the high power ST chips.

Tiny surface mount chips

Sounds fun ! But want to bi-amp and have each amp mounted on the rear of each speaker and avoid speaker cables. That's supposed to be ultimate I thought ?

Can I use the Wurth coils I bought on the ST517 and 2.2uf input caps ?

Take a look at the tiny legs on those chips. If you thought soldering the coils was hard, wait until you try to get those output chips on without ruining something.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.