Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2009, 11:58 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi Pincellone,
Thanks for bringing this Amp to our attention ..
I am ready and waiting in anticipation to hear it..I will also be using it with the 24V switching PSU turned up to 29V..
I will probably just change the input caps, you really need the expertise of Panomaniac or Nuuk who have knowledge of the Virtue Amp to know where the Sure Amp is lacking..

Cheers,
Ready and waiting..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg surenew.jpg (94.1 KB, 4720 views)
Old 17th May 2009, 05:03 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

OK Audio1st, we will be waiting for the contribution of the other members and see what we get. Thanks for your feedback!

P.
Old 17th May 2009, 06:02 PM   #23
ElFishi is offline ElFishi  Europe
diyAudio Member

I've been browsing some switching PSUs.
Do I need an (active) PFC with a load like this?
Old 18th May 2009, 07:45 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

By using PFC the PSU is better able to convert incoming power current into power than power supplies which do not utilize PFC. The resulting effect is lower peak and harmonic current which reduces stress on many critical components which can result in longer component life.

However I don't think this is a critical issue. I've ordered an EMI filtered switching PSU without PFC.
Old 18th May 2009, 01:54 PM   #25
youp is offline youp  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default got it

I got my board today, Very well packaged and with all the accessories.
looks like C7 t/m C9 and C11 t/m C13 are 50V instead of 35V you can see on the picture in the first post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sure.jpg (77.4 KB, 4596 views)
Old 18th May 2009, 02:21 PM   #26
swkbkk is offline swkbkk  Thailand
diyAudio Member

The schematics given in the manual quotes 220uF/50V so I guess your board is built more close to the schematics.

But then what does it mean? Does it mean I can drive the amp with a PSU rated at 50V?
Old 18th May 2009, 03:06 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swkbkk

But then what does it mean? Does it mean I can drive the amp with a PSU rated at 50V?

It means you can run it at the chips max voltage of 36V...
Old 18th May 2009, 06:40 PM   #28
youp is offline youp  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default dc offset

Oke I found out my amplifier had an dc offset of 96mV and -85mV with 30V smps. Not quite within the 10mV they listed on ebay. With a screwdriver it was easy to adjust the potentiometers to a value within 5mV. But when I connected a 12V power suply I again had a dc-offset of about 100mV. Is this strange or normal?

Another thing I noticed is that the heatsink gets hot within a few minutes after powering up with 30V. Is this normal for this chip? My TA2020 doesn't get hot at all.
Old 19th May 2009, 01:23 PM   #29
swkbkk is offline swkbkk  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Do you notice any (significant) difference in sound quality between when powering the amp with a 12V PSU and when powering the amp with a 30V PSU?

It will probably also depend on the kind of speakers being used but I just want to get some general feedback.

I already have a small SMPS rated at 12V 3A and wonder if I need to invest in a new PSU with more power to do the justice to the amp.

BTW, since my ordered unit (by mistake) is rated at 50W with a single TP2050 chip, I guess my power requirement should be less than for the one rated at 100W. But then 12V 3A is still only about 36W though.

Could you just provide me with your general feelings about the differences in the sound?

Thanks in advance!
Old 19th May 2009, 01:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

My Sure board has arrived and my heat sink also gets hot,,
Sure have added a 2n2F cap across the input under the board and I found this made the treble a tad dull, removed and has clarity now. I am running with the standard input caps to get an idea of how it sounds .
It is also dead quiet with no white noise. The Mute works on this board if you link Mute to the 5V terminal.

So far I like it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg surenewin.jpg (98.1 KB, 3903 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!