Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050 - Page 228 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2012, 09:20 PM   #2271
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The worst part is that Tripath chips are on a dead end running stock and wasted on these junk products in my humble opinion....
Old 16th April 2012, 11:28 AM   #2272
diyAudio Member

I totally agree with you. Sure electronics needs good QC to make their products respectful in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bro View Post
The worst part is that Tripath chips are on a dead end running stock and wasted on these junk products in my humble opinion....
Old 18th April 2012, 04:42 PM   #2273
diyAudio Member

one of my 2x100 smoked last night, but i think my sound card messed up and sent some crazy signal to them it was so loud when my pc turned on something like 8k Hz to the ear at full blast , these 2 boards have been on for 3 years non stop..
Old 4th May 2012, 10:12 PM   #2274
diyAudio Member

Default Need help on SMPS feedback (?)

Hi. How do I make a short between COM and ground ? Do I use only capacitor or also resistor in series. What values ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6205.JPG (398.2 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6206.jpg (985.6 KB, 472 views)
Old 5th May 2012, 04:27 AM   #2275
diyAudio Member

Connect one leg of the cap to GROUND and another to COM. I think 0.1uF is enough.

This alone might not work to get rid of the noise since all the caps you replaced have those long legs that are working like antennas and polluting your signal. Bigger is not always better.

Last edited by Virpz; 5th May 2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 5th May 2012, 09:34 AM   #2276
diyAudio Member

HF feedback, you should be glad the amp is not extremely powerful, smoke is not excluded from the special effects if it would have been.

That is a high frequency output filter, you may have noticed the inductors have an extremely low value, close to just a wire. All the 'extension leads' you have added to the parts that don't actually fit on the board will introduce tremendous parasitic inductance radiating and picking up the switching signals. Apart from that you have chosen extremely inductive capacitors. As said above small is key in a high frequency output filter!

I've never seen a Tripath amplifier on which grounding was done properly either, not even my most favorite ones. I always take extra special care to make sure the ground at the audio input side (AGND) is not making any unnecessary connections, then one single connection to the power ground (PGND) through a little inductor (to block any unwanted switching noise) and then keep all these isolated from the casing/earth.
Old 5th May 2012, 09:46 AM   #2277
diyAudio Member

I'm aware of that. Not to mention very long and poorly shielded connection wires. I'm just ordering some new, well shielded cable.

So connection looks just like on my sketch. And no resitor ? ElFishi once used 20mF. You advised 0,1uF. Huge difference.
Old 5th May 2012, 11:37 AM   #2278
diyAudio Member

Didn't look like you are aware of that...

What would be the point of more capacitance on an SMPS? It runs on high frequency and that tops off the caps in a split second. Apart from that the high capacitance can cause the PS to oscillate as it becomes rather a big load on the high switching frequency.

100nF is fine, just to shunt any noise to ground, but it should already be present on the amp. They are most effective nearest to the load and furthest from the lead inductance. Placing it on the PS output is therefore far from ideal.
Old 5th May 2012, 11:46 AM   #2279
diyAudio Member

Another look at this pic suggests even more that you are not that aware... What would be more important, keeping the input leads short or the output leads?

Click the image to open in full size.

Surely the input leads. Hence the use of extension shafts in many designs for the potentiometer. I am not even that worried about thise twisted pairs, they'll do fine when kept short.

Good lay-out and proper grounding is far more important than sticking on a couple of 'fancy' parts....
Old 5th May 2012, 10:04 PM   #2280
diyAudio Member

I am now When I did this amp a year ago I had no idea.. Anyway I have no skills/resources/time to make an extension shaft. But I would be vary glad to have one istalled.

Do you think there is any point in adding this 0.1uF short when I have those caps on input and output ?

Hide this!Advertise here!