Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050 - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2009, 12:05 PM   #211
diyAudio Member

Finally recieved a replacement for the faulty board and it works. Im not really happy with the sound. So what i read from this topic i need to remove C25 and C17 and replace C24 and C16 with 2.2uF capacitors? Also removing the "BJ 6CA" voltage limiters under the board improves the sound. Is that correct or am i going to do something wrong? Im a real noob with electronics and dont want to destroy my board, so im only planning on doing the easiest mods on it.
Cheers,
Lasse
Old 30th June 2009, 07:50 PM   #212
ElFishi is offline ElFishi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default output stage

If the little plastic housings of the output inductors say "220", does that mean they are 22uH?
That would differ markedly from the 10uH sure put down in their schematic (and still from the 15uH as suggested in the datasheet schematic).
Also C33,36,47,50 seem to be .68uF and not .47uF (or .22)
Only C35,49 are .22uF, just as it says (datasheet gives .1)

I want to at least replace the output caps. But if I want to completely re-build the output stage as suggested by the datasheet I guess I have to replace the inductors, too.

Any recommendations on what inductors to use? Does size matter or proximity to the chip? Then SMD seems like a good choice.
Other choices?
Old 30th June 2009, 08:36 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

I would use shielded inductors like, http://www.vishay.com/company/press/...0720inductors/

And keep in mind that Tripath is long gone, these chips might not be old stock but cheap chinese knock-offs. We all know about fake components coming from china, even metal film resistors turn out to be carbon ...
Old 30th June 2009, 10:06 PM   #214
ElFishi is offline ElFishi  Europe
diyAudio Member

250mA @ 10uH doesn't sound enough

how about toroidal line chokes?
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b80241d51.pdf
Old 1st July 2009, 08:04 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

I mentioned them as example, I would check CoilCraft as well.

http://www.coilcraft.com/spt.cfm for example: SPT68H-183ML_
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:43 PM   #216
dr_vega is offline dr_vega  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Missing Zobels

Quote:
Originally posted by mravlcax

You have zobel caps on your board (C34, C48) and resistors? My sure board didn't have zobel components on board, thats why it was a bit rough on highs. After adding zobel filter the sound was much nicer, also change these grey caps(output capacitors) with something better.

Regards Ales

I think that all these boards from sure are without zobel network.

I don't think those are Zobel caps that are missing. My reading of the schematics says those are the HBR caps, High Frequency Bypass caps for VCC and GND to the chips. The Zobel caps and resisters are next to the missing HBR caps and are present.

The missing HBR caps should be .1uf 50V.

-Dr Vega
Old 4th July 2009, 05:55 PM   #217
dr_vega is offline dr_vega  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Missing Zobels

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_vega

I don't think those are Zobel caps that are missing. My reading of the schematics says those are the HBR caps, High Frequency Bypass caps for VCC and GND to the chips. The Zobel caps and resisters are next to the missing HBR caps and are present.

The missing HBR caps should be .1uf 50V.

-Dr Vega

My mistake. I mis-read the photographs. (My boards haven't arrived, yet.) Those are the Zobels that are missing.

Does anyone have recommendations for small film caps to use there (.47uF 50V)? I suppose polypropylene would be best, but they are large.

-Dr Vega
Old 6th July 2009, 07:53 AM   #218
diyAudio Member

Im a bit disappointed in the lows this amp produces. So im planning on changing the caps on the input, but im a total noobie in electronics. So if i remove the small smd on C25 and C17 and connect the new 2.2uF capacitor as shown in the picture on the right, will it work? Or do i have to connect the way it is shown on the left?
Click the image to open in full size.
And how does it change the sound removing the voltage limiters on the other side of the board? Someone said it will "roll off the treble from 3.5khz", don't really understand what he meant by "roll off".
Old 6th July 2009, 09:07 AM   #219
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whelibob
Im a bit disappointed in the lows this amp produces. So im planning on changing the caps on the input, but im a total noobie in electronics. So if i remove the small smd on C25 and C17 and connect the new 2.2uF capacitor as shown in the picture on the right, will it work? Or do i have to connect the way it is shown on the left?
Click the image to open in full size.
And how does it change the sound removing the voltage limiters on the other side of the board? Someone said it will "roll off the treble from 3.5khz", don't really understand what he meant by "roll off".

Hello, Yes you remove C25 and C17 and connect as on the right in the picture, replacing C24 and C16.

I removed the voltage limiters because they limited the treble in my case. If you find the treble OK or bright, you could leave them in place.
Old 6th July 2009, 09:10 AM   #220
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

Finally ordered a board. Managed to get one for AUD$51 including postage

col.

Hide this!Advertise here!