Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050 - Page 217 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2012, 12:49 PM   #2161
diyAudio Member

vmed_cha_gr: I have been eyeballing the hifimediy as another project amp myself. Is your rating on the Sure simply because you of extensive modification involved, or is the hifimediy have a better SQ? Just curious on that comparison and if the need for mods effected the rating you gave it.

Update on my setup:
So far on my amp, I have ran up to 12 hours with variables volumes and music styles on the passive heat sink and the highest I have seen is just shy of 50*C. The 5v reg, with heatsink, see's up to 55*C. I have removed the diodes on the input as well. Today, caps should be in to replace the caps/resistors on the input as well. Still looking into the wurths, but tank caps are ordered.

So far, I like this little amp. I'm hoping the low end opens up a bit with the several cap replacements I plan. Some decent punch, but misses the full low end I know my speakers can produce on the songs I have listened to on them. Midrange has been excellent. Treble has been decent, can't complain, but I hope to see some mild improvements there as well.
Old 6th January 2012, 03:46 PM   #2162
diyAudio Member

Arrow info !!

Hifimediy has better SQ without mods. You get everything that sure does not have from the beginning. Large power supply capacitor, proper inductors, proper zobel filter & better quality output caps, i see not much modifications to be done on hifimediy T2 board. Just the input caps & maybe get rid of the pot. And SQ is far superior.
The sure board is also sensitive with solder / un-solder procedures, wrong values on the output filters, noisy temperature control circuit (that digital noise that sounds like a hard disk drive working). Unnecessary suppressor diodes on the input , cheap quality mkp caps, needs more capacitance on both channels, has no output relay circuit .. etc.. etc... A lot of work to be done to get a proper sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDestiny View Post
vmed_cha_gr: I have been eyeballing the hifimediy as another project amp myself. Is your rating on the Sure simply because you of extensive modification involved, or is the hifimediy have a better SQ? Just curious on that comparison and if the need for mods effected the rating you gave it.
Old 10th January 2012, 06:12 AM   #2163
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I was given one of these boards a couple of years ago in return for making a component for a friend. I got no paperwork with it and have some questions. I put it together yesterday and am very pleased with the sound (no mods yet)

1. I am using a linear 34v PS. What wattage out am I likely to be getting?
2. If I have DC blocking in my pre-amp do I need either input or output caps?
3. My speakers are 96dB. I assume I should expect a little hiss?

I have removed the two "black things" from under the board on the inputs. I have been there, modded lots of TA2024 amps some years ago, got the T-Shirt and do not intend to get involved to that level again. What yould you say were one or two essential mods to improve this board?

Thanks

Rob.
Old 10th January 2012, 06:26 AM   #2164
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
1) Pending adjustment of the gain resistors, and maximum output capacity depending on max. output current (and so lowest impedance allowed), you get absolute max power: 45% of (voltage squared / impedance) ... About 0.1% THD up to 80% of max power, lowest THD up to 60% of max power. Note that you can plug this equation into Google and have it calculate for you.

2) Probably not the input caps. You always need the output caps - these have a completely different purpose. The inputs are biased to 2.5V referenced to input ground (or -2.5V, don't remember which.). If this is blocked in the preamp, then it's blocked in the preamp and you ought to be fine Be careful though

3) Probably at max gain - but you can adjust the gain resistors to lower the gain, this should help somewhat by minimizing the noise that the amp picks up from outside. These chipsets are pretty quiet by design, but I have no experience with the Sure implementations.

P.s. - for detailed answers to these questions, check the datasheet for TC2000, TC2001, TK2050, TP2050 (and the TK2350 datasheet too, which is a different thing but is somewhat applicable and has extra information as I recall).

Last edited by kristleifur; 10th January 2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10th January 2012, 07:22 AM   #2165
diyAudio Member

Exclamation INFO

1) Change input caps with 2.2uf mkp.
2) Put an additional 1000uf cap on left & right rail.
3) Change the caps on the output with better ones, put a zobel filter (0.47uf with 10ohm worked for me), change the inductors.
4) The fan draws 5v from the board, it's polluting the sound so you better disconnect it. Also its heat control circuit makes strange noises as it it tries to operate it when heat rises. I supplied it with an old external mobile phone power supply at 4.9v. It works silently .
5) I would run the board between 27v to 31v, not 34v, i thing you might damage it.
6) Small hiss is there, you cannot do anything about it. But it is not annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
I was given one of these boards a couple of years ago in return for making a component for a friend. I got no paperwork with it and have some questions. I put it together yesterday and am very pleased with the sound (no mods yet)

I have removed the two "black things" from under the board on the inputs. I have been there, modded lots of TA2024 amps some years ago, got the T-Shirt and do not intend to get involved to that level again. What yould you say were one or two essential mods to improve this board?

Thanks

Rob.

Last edited by vmed_cha_gr; 10th January 2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10th January 2012, 09:00 AM   #2166
diyAudio Member

Thank you both very much for your replies. Rob.
Old 10th January 2012, 09:04 AM   #2167
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=kristleifur;2854771]Note that you can plug this equation into Google and have it calculate for you.

QUOTE]

Seems to be about 40W into 8Ohms.
Old 11th January 2012, 01:17 PM   #2168
diyAudio Member

I just got my hands on a pair of the TK2050 100w Sure amps. I couldn't resist after failing to build a 41Hz amp4 and amp6. I firmly believe the Wash DC postal system cooked the Tripath chips. In any case the carcasses yield a lot of useful parts for mods. I got two of the Sure amps in case I ruin one, I'll at least have another to enjoy.

I cobbled together a nice power supply consisting of a soft start circuit, a Hammond 182P12 transformer (24V @ 5A) the bridge rectifier from an amp6, the two 10,000uF caps from the amp4 and a 600uF film capacitor. It works great, but it's voltage is a bit over 36V which is too much in my opinion. So I'm debating how to get the voltage down to a solid 32V. I'm thinking either a resistor for simple and rugged reliability, or an LM350 regulator. Opinions?

My initial test was using a 12v @ 2A regulated wall wart. I was surprised at how efficient the little amp is. Adding a 18,000uF cap definitely helps with an undersized power supply.

Observation: It seems to sound better with higher voltage 32v, but quite acceptable at 12v.

For amp mods:
I started with flicking off the lousy 1.0uF on the input and soldered in a Blackgate PK 3uF to the underside of the board, and left the .22uF in. That brought out the lower frequencies and didn't seem to effect the highs much.

Next I cranked up the heat on the soldering iron and removed the output filters. Not very graceful. Good thing the PCB is decent quality! I put in the 10uH toroids from the amp6 since that would be the easiest to do. They may be undersized for the current requirements? In any case changing these made a significant improvement all around. My big 15 inch Tannoys really came to life. Space is a bit tight, but I think I'll try transplanting the 15uH and other output filter components from the amp4 on the other amp.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to charge up a pair of 12V SLA batteries that I salvaged from a motor scooter. I can't get it over 20v in series. To give you an idea of their size, they have a 30A fuse attached. We'll see how that goes.
Old 11th January 2012, 01:48 PM   #2169
diyAudio Member

whitelabrat - I'd see if you can't unwind the transformer. It's probably the easiest and most reliable method.
Old 11th January 2012, 02:16 PM   #2170
diyAudio Member

@kristleifur

Good point! I thought about that option, but apparently forgot! I'll give that a try first. I'd prefer to keep the supply unregulated and as low resistance as possible.

Hide this!Advertise here!