Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050 - Page 202 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2011, 06:35 PM   #2011
diyAudio Member

First time poster, long time reader. I just built an amp around a Sure 4x100 TK2050 board, and overall I am pretty pleased with it. However, from the sources I am using it is just not loud enough (they don't have standard line-out levels, more like 2v). What can I do to add some gain to the inputs? Right now I have the board severely under powered with a 120 watt laptop supply, but even at full volume the thing keeps up (no clipping or distortion). I want to add a better power supply, but if I can't get more volume with the sources I am using, I don't see much of a point in feeding it more power. What would you guys recommend? I have thought about a tube buffer, op amp, and even just using a Boostaroo...
Old 2nd May 2011, 05:35 PM   #2012
diyAudio Member

Dank

You could use a preamp eq like this..

NE5532 volume control board kit 10 times pre-amp DIY | eBay

And use a 27 volt power supply like this.

MW 27V DC 13A 351W Meanwell Switching Power Supply | eBay

John
Old 4th May 2011, 01:42 AM   #2013
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

Greetings all,

I finally got around to hooking my Sure 2X100 amp board up using a 6 amp 19.5 v computer docking station PSU. It works flawlessly and even after many hours the chip didn't overheat and the fan didn't come on. I haven't had the chance to try it with a good preamp yet, and I'm using the volume control module that Sure sells for it. This is the first class D amp that I've owned or heard and after about 10 hours on the board I am less than overwhelmed with the sound. On some high quality speakers it sounds clear and clean, with no audible distortion, but the sound stage is flat, and the leading and trailing edges of notes don't sound real, sound chopped off. And in general it seems to be missing something, a lot of the subtle details are missing. For $44 I'm not complaining, but after all the buzz about the board being good stock, I'm wondering if the problem might be the PSU. I have read the thread about all of the modifications, but before I dive into them am wondering if a decent PSU should be the first thing I tackle.

PJN

PJN
Old 4th May 2011, 03:11 AM   #2014
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Volume control

I would also question the volume control but I have never tried that one so I don't know first hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJN View Post
Greetings all,

I finally got around to hooking my Sure 2X100 amp board up using a 6 amp 19.5 v computer docking station PSU. It works flawlessly and even after many hours the chip didn't overheat and the fan didn't come on. I haven't had the chance to try it with a good preamp yet, and I'm using the volume control module that Sure sells for it. This is the first class D amp that I've owned or heard and after about 10 hours on the board I am less than overwhelmed with the sound. On some high quality speakers it sounds clear and clean, with no audible distortion, but the sound stage is flat, and the leading and trailing edges of notes don't sound real, sound chopped off. And in general it seems to be missing something, a lot of the subtle details are missing. For $44 I'm not complaining, but after all the buzz about the board being good stock, I'm wondering if the problem might be the PSU. I have read the thread about all of the modifications, but before I dive into them am wondering if a decent PSU should be the first thing I tackle.

PJN

PJN
Old 4th May 2011, 06:14 PM   #2015
diyAudio Member

Alright, I went ahead and bought a 24v 350 watt Mean Well power supply, and it has made a heck of a difference. The sound is much fuller, especially on the low end, and it is a bit louder. I am still toying with the idea of getting something to boost the input, and am seriously considering this
headphone amp.
What would you guys think about this? It should be an interesting change in the sound, from the rather sterile stock chip amp sound. I like this one because it can be run off of 24v DC straight from the Mean Well.
Old 4th May 2011, 10:16 PM   #2016
diyAudio Member

I think that a proper power supply will make a world of difference for you.
Old 5th May 2011, 01:36 AM   #2017
diyAudio Member

try a tube based preamplifer.

this is a combination made in heaven
Old 5th May 2011, 04:04 PM   #2018
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

I removed the Sure volume control and tried a good class A preamp that I have. It made a big improvement, the Sure volume control really hurt the sound quality. Just for fun I compared it to a RevC chipamp, the RevC did beat it out convincingly, but the little $44 board did show a lot of potential. Now I'll feel better about spending my time upgrading things.

PJN
Old 5th May 2011, 04:32 PM   #2019
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default SMPS

I would guess a 30v MeanWell SMPS power supply would be the next step. My Sure 2050 amp kills the sonics of my 3886 amp.
[/I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJN View Post
I removed the Sure volume control and tried a good class A preamp that I have. It made a big improvement, the Sure volume control really hurt the sound quality. Just for fun I compared it to a RevC chipamp, the RevC did beat it out convincingly, but the little $44 board did show a lot of potential. Now I'll feel better about spending my time upgrading things.

PJN
Old 5th May 2011, 05:34 PM   #2020
glemmy is offline glemmy  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Sure recommended me NOT to use a power supply with 30.5-31V.
It's been working fine for a few days and sounds great.
Has anyone ran into problems when using a voltage slightly over recommended?

Hide this!Advertise here!