Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050 - Page 180 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2010, 10:27 AM   #1791
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default filter caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka View Post
Hi Sendler,

Do better quality capacitors and resistor prove beneficial in the filter, according to your experience?

I would also like to know, since I am using the MeanWell SMPS, is it absolutely necessary to connect its ground to earth?

Thanks, Baki
I haven't had a chance to compare the stock filter caps to the Dayton foil yet because up until now, I have always removed the stock caps to gain access for the removal of the stock coils.
Old 8th September 2010, 10:50 AM   #1792
Baka is offline Baka  Montenegro
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I haven't had a chance to compare the stock filter caps to the Dayton foil yet because up until now, I have always removed the stock caps to gain access for the removal of the stock coils.
Many thanks, Scott,

I have forgotten to ask, regarding your schematics from the post #14 in another thread (New TK2050 board) - is the Zobel filter absolutely necessary?

I have already installed 4,7uH Wurth XXL coils, stock C1 and C2 are .68uF and stock Zobel filter values are 10R/1uF.

Contrary to the others the overall sound is a bit dark which I do not like.

What could I expect if I add a differential cap across the speaker outs?

Thanks, Baki
Old 8th September 2010, 11:35 AM   #1793
diyAudio Member

Default Zobel empty

Quote:
Many thanks, Scott,

I have forgotten to ask, regarding your schematics from the post #14 in another thread (New TK2050 board) - is the Zobel filter absolutely necessary?

I have already installed 4,7uH Wurth XXL coils, stock C1 and C2 are .68uF and stock Zobel filter values are 10R/1uF.

Contrary to the others the overall sound is a bit dark which I do not like.

What could I expect if I add a differential cap across the speaker outs?

Thanks, Baki
I think you will find that the stock pads for the zobel are empty. I have never listened to the stock caps with modded coils so I don't know how much the sound will change if you change caps.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:53 AM   #1794
Baka is offline Baka  Montenegro
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I think you will find that the stock pads for the zobel are empty. I have never listened to the stock caps with modded coils so I don't know how much the sound will change if you change caps.
Sorry for the confusion, my mistake

I am using the 2 channel version with passive cooling and zobel is implemented.

So, it is worth to try it without zobel, with just an lc filter (and differential cap). Or not?

That's my last question, I promise

Thanks, Baki
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0039.jpg (175.1 KB, 590 views)
Old 8th September 2010, 12:09 PM   #1795
diyAudio Member

Default try it

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, my mistake

I am using the 2 channel version with passive cooling and zobel is implemented.

So, it is worth to try it without zobel, with just an lc filter (and differential cap). Or not?

That's my last question, I promise

Thanks, Baki
Removing the Zobel should brighten the sound by allowing the big ultrasonic peak from the small coils to develop more fully.
Old 9th September 2010, 09:41 AM   #1796
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Hi there,

will the use of say 2F cap and 1F on different channels impact anything esle than the LPF, like a phase shift between channels or such?
Old 11th September 2010, 06:52 AM   #1797
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
And do changing gain at one channel ( so a C and a R ) will do that phase delay thing?
Old 11th September 2010, 07:44 PM   #1798
diyAudio Member

can I use the sure 2 x100W board as a second amp ? I'm using a 2x25W DVD Reciever and I want to add the sure by connecting it to the speaker output. So the DVD Reciever works as an pre-amp. Does that make sense ?
Old 14th September 2010, 08:37 PM   #1799
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_vega View Post
I hope you're hearing improvements from your cap swap. It feels so good when you make an amp sound better and you know you did it yourself! I'm not putting down those who send their amps off to others to do the upgrading, but I find it very rewarding to know I made it happen with my own hands, especially when things go wrong and I have to scramble to fix my mistakes and make things right.

16AWG should be plenty. It looks smaller to me in the picture. Of course, some people think more is always better, so if you come across some 0000 welding cable, it'll make great power lines

I've replaced my output coils with 10uH coils I bought from board member Arjen Holder. He makes them for his MkIII TA2020 boards. They're very nice toroids rated at 3 amps and wound on the MicroMetal type 2 cores that Tripath recommends. They're small enough to fit on the TK2050 board and they're inexpensive:

I upgraded the input caps at the same time I installed the coils, so I don't know for sure what part of the improvement was the caps and what was the coils. But the total improvement is significant, much more open, detailed, and balanced. The mids are slightly too forward, but my highs are finally present.

The parts are still burning in and I haven't changed the output caps or added a Zobel or changed the input and feedback resistors yet, so I expect things to get better still. But I love what I'm hearing so far.

I'm also waiting for a fan to arrive so I can play it louder!

-dr_vega
Hi,
Are those choke coils heating up?
I have bought similar ones from ebay but they are burning hot and I wonder if those ones from Arjen are burning hot or you can touch them?
Can you supply the link for Arjen's choke coils please?

Regards
Old 14th September 2010, 08:47 PM   #1800
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_vega View Post
I hope you're hearing improvements from your cap swap. It feels so good when you make an amp sound better and you know you did it yourself! I'm not putting down those who send their amps off to others to do the upgrading, but I find it very rewarding to know I made it happen with my own hands, especially when things go wrong and I have to scramble to fix my mistakes and make things right.

16AWG should be plenty. It looks smaller to me in the picture. Of course, some people think more is always better, so if you come across some 0000 welding cable, it'll make great power lines

I've replaced my output coils with 10uH coils I bought from board member Arjen Holder. He makes them for his MkIII TA2020 boards. They're very nice toroids rated at 3 amps and wound on the MicroMetal type 2 cores that Tripath recommends. They're small enough to fit on the TK2050 board and they're inexpensive:

I upgraded the input caps at the same time I installed the coils, so I don't know for sure what part of the improvement was the caps and what was the coils. But the total improvement is significant, much more open, detailed, and balanced. The mids are slightly too forward, but my highs are finally present.

The parts are still burning in and I haven't changed the output caps or added a Zobel or changed the input and feedback resistors yet, so I expect things to get better still. But I love what I'm hearing so far.

I'm also waiting for a fan to arrive so I can play it louder!

-dr_vega
So would those choke coils from Arjen (I guess he is from ebay) are recommended for upgrade????
Are they burning hot? Do they heat too much?
thank you

Hide this!Advertise here!