Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050 - Page 177 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2010, 07:28 PM   #1761
diyAudio Member

I've just installed a 120mm fan into my amplifier case & the case is also vented from the sides... Should spin direction of the fan be effectively venting heat out of the case or blowing air into the case?
Old 24th August 2010, 10:48 PM   #1762
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakamada View Post
I just wanted to give it a try. Connected to 12v it is VERY noisy. The very same fan connected to 5v is almost dead quiet even with my ear right next to the tweeter.

I'm also thinking about sticking little radiators to Wuerths coils.
Hi, I went from using the included silver heatsink to the Zalman purple heatsink, only to find the Zalman heatsink gets too hot without a fan.

I'm not using the Zalman heatsink with the Sure (MSI) fan. I'm running the fan at around 4v now, which means it makes less noise, and is still fast enough to keep the heatsink from getting hot. I did think the fan was a little noisy at 5v myself, but I do have the amp modules on the back of my speakers...
Old 25th August 2010, 01:13 AM   #1763
diyAudio Member

Typo:
I'm now* using the Zalman heatsink with the Sure (MSI) fan.
Old 25th August 2010, 03:15 AM   #1764
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarpMalone View Post
I've just installed a 120mm fan into my amplifier case & the case is also vented from the sides... Should spin direction of the fan be effectively venting heat out of the case or blowing air into the case?
Most installations have the fan blowing outside air onto the heat source and then let it exhaust out of the case where it will.
Old 25th August 2010, 03:21 AM   #1765
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Most installations have the fan blowing outside air onto the heat source and then let it exhaust out of the case where it will.
Thanks Scott
Old 25th August 2010, 06:41 AM   #1766
Banned

Hmm these must have really low efficiency if their getting hot enough to need a fan
Old 25th August 2010, 12:42 PM   #1767
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

True. The are not as efficient as they might be. Especially at low powers.
Old 25th August 2010, 01:03 PM   #1768
Banned

like 60-70% rather than 80-90% as class d usually is. Design issue ?
Old 25th August 2010, 01:13 PM   #1769
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekko View Post
like 60-70% rather than 80-90% as class d usually is. Design issue ?
For sure. The 41Hz implementations of the same chipset hardly even need heatsinking.
Old 25th August 2010, 03:26 PM   #1770
nertia is offline nertia  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I ran one of these board @24V fan-less in an unvented aluminium enclosure for three months but the stock heatsink did get get very hot, I'd estimate 50 -55C.

Coincidentally, I have been doing some tests on the new version of the board. It comes equipped with a very mechanically noisy 12V fan that plugs into a variable speed fan control that kicks in at 45C.

I am running the board @32-33.5V (to take into account the voltage lost in the input diodes) without a fan.

Ambient ~24-25C

Temperature rise:
Approx 2C every 3mins to a maximum of 52C

Temperature measured at base of heatsink:

30V 45C
32V 46-47C
34V 48-49C

Without extra cooling fins:

32V 50-51C
34V 52C

PSU:

LS75 75W 36V 2.2A

All of these measurements were taken using the Frankenstein heatsink pictured. Sorry no tests done with stock HS. I thought I could get away with a giant block of copper (old Pentium 3 server heatsink) but because the heat gain is slow but constant, a larger surface area is required to disperse the heat away from the chips. A quick blast with the fan and temp drops quickly 10C <1min.

The Zalman HS most people have been using would probably have been a better choice as It probably has a larger surface area but is too tall for my enclosure (old radio chassis).

All this suggests that to be safe I should reduce the voltage or find a quiet fan, but I'm not going to because the board sounds much better @ ~32V and I hate fans

I think that I can get the temp to stabilize at about 50C passively in its case, which is the max operating temperature stated in the Sure manual (although Tripath state 70C) but I think a quiet fan is a far more sensible solution if you are worried about heat.

My only other thought was if there was a way to detect whether there was audio input and invoke the mute if none was detected, although this might be quite annoying for PC users (system sounds etc...)

Hope this helps someone,

Mat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01419.JPG (823.1 KB, 405 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!