Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050 - Page 162 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2010, 04:31 PM   #1611
diyAudio Member

Thanks. If my DAC worked without pot, it's going to work with 10k ?

It's AK4393 with custom anolog output directly from DAC via Lundahl 1517
Old 12th May 2010, 05:19 PM   #1612
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Direct out into 4K

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakamada View Post
Thanks. If my DAC worked without pot, it's going to work with 10k ?

It's AK4393 with custom anolog output directly from DAC via Lundahl 1517
I use AK4395 dac chips direct out through foil caps with 4k stepped attenuators. 100K will work with a buffer or if there is no wire following it but 10k will sound more dynamic and have better extension at both frequency extremes.
Old 12th May 2010, 06:36 PM   #1613
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot. I'll find 10k then

BTW Try out outputing the signal from AKM directly through transformers like LL1517 (even very, very cheap Monacor LT-110) . Amount of detail is insane !!
Old 12th May 2010, 07:01 PM   #1614
diyAudio Member

Default Tried transformers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakamada View Post
Thanks a lot. I'll find 10k then

BTW Try out outputing the signal from AKM directly through transformers like LL1517 (even very, very cheap Monacor LT-110) . Amount of detail is insane !!
I tried Sowter transformers. They had a nice, easy, liquid migrange. The Dayton foil caps are more detailed and transparent and much cheaper for 6 channels in a DCX or M-Audio sound card.
Old 13th May 2010, 03:56 AM   #1615
diyAudio Member

Default Amp gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHunt79 View Post
I've finally got a chance to fire up my Sure TK2050 powered speakers today, and I'm getting a little too much hiss thru the tweeter. I think my tweeters are quite sensitive, but I'm not sure of the exact figure as I cannot find detailed specs for my drivers. I was getting the same problem when I was using a TA2020 based amp, and I found that padding down the tweeter with a resistor help as it:

1) reduced the white noise/hiss
2) made the tweeter level about the same level as the woofer

Now my tweeter is 8 ohm and I found that an 8 ohm resistor in series gave a -6db drop and matched the level of the woofer quite well
I haven't tried it yet but it might be possible to reduce the gain of the amp to match the sensitivity of the drivers and reduce the hiss by changing the feedback resistors RFBC and using a lower voltage supply. This would eliminate the need for the big series resistor on your tweeter and give you back your sound. Many class AB amps have a minimum gain below which they become unstable, oscillate, and burn up. Usually around 22db of gain. I don't see any reference to a minimum gain for the TK2050 chip set and have posted the question but didn't get any reply. The only reference in the data sheets talks about matching the supply voltage to the RFBC so it would seem that one could take R13, 17, 25, and 31 all the way down to 7K ohms with a supply of less than 16v which will reduce the gain of the amp 6db, down to 18db, 8V/V taking the noise down with it and matching the drivers.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:01 PM   #1616
AndrewR is offline AndrewR  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamacc View Post
The diodes are not in the meanwell, but on the board, marked d1 and d2 (next to the power plug)

Why switch to carbon if metal film is recommended in audio?
Hi teamacc,

Metal film is not recommended by everyone in audio. Some state that metal films are too bright - while a good carbon film can sound very organic. It's just a matter of choosing the best combination for your amp and taste.

I'll have a look at removing d1 and d2 when I've finished building the amp. Do these need shorting or keeping as open circuit? My build is taking a while as spare time is limited - but it's coming together nicely.

Andrew
Old 13th May 2010, 10:35 PM   #1617
ch33ta is offline ch33ta  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ch33ta Send a message via Yahoo to ch33ta
Hi, guys...
Just got one of those amp and started with mods

I had an idea with the PSU routing on the amp, so I need your assessment, is it necessary and will it work:
Click the image to open in full size.

The idea is to separate PSU for each channel, more accurately to supply each channel with it's own rail... (better channel separation??) So, 4 wires from SMPS to the board, and an extra cap for each rail directly on the board connectors. Note that i won't be using 2 PSU's, only 2 rails from 1 PSU. Will this work?

I'm a noob, so please don't be hard on me
Old 13th May 2010, 10:44 PM   #1618
teamacc is offline teamacc  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Better channel seperation: I dont think that will be achieved as much as when you would use 2 boards.
Why not just add some elcos underneath the tp2050, as it makes the sound more responsive and dynamic?
Old 14th May 2010, 08:27 AM   #1619
ch33ta is offline ch33ta  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ch33ta Send a message via Yahoo to ch33ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamacc View Post
Better channel seperation: I dont think that will be achieved as much as when you would use 2 boards.
Why not just add some elcos underneath the tp2050, as it makes the sound more responsive and dynamic?
I understand that it won't be the same as using two boards, I just wanted to know is it even worth it... It's no problem cutting 2 traces and linking the rest.
Also elcos were in plan, together with 0.1uF film cap in parallel under each tp2050.
Old 14th May 2010, 05:46 PM   #1620
teamacc is offline teamacc  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Just fried one of my boards: one channel was really weak, i desoldered and resoldered the chip (tp2050, yes, the old one), and i think i made an error, as there were flames, smoke and smell.
Inspection revealed that 4 pins evaporated.
Luckily, it was the weak channel. I will try to solder the strong channel's chip back on tomorrow.

Hide this!Advertise here!