Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2010, 10:54 PM   #1291
mattnz is offline mattnz  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bro View Post
I have used stuff called Gold-something.... It turned out to be slightly electrically conductive. This gave problems with regards to ground and once even when it dripped on the chip pins the amp went into protection mode. I was lucky it worked again after I cleaned it.

Some pastes contain copper or aluminium powder...

BE SURE TO GET PASTE THAT IS NON CONDUCTIVE!

As a matter of fact I always use silicone pads because they are not poisonous(!), tidy to work with, plenty heat conductive for a properly operating class T amplifier and never gave me any problems of overheating.
Its very conductive it contains 99.9% pure silver, the same rule applies when applying the stuff to a CPU you musnt get any near any of the pins, I use a scalpel to apply about a grain of rice sized amount.... its definately worth while...

Ive read comments saying the bass isnt that great with these amps, Im going to be running mission m35i speakers which are 25-150w 96db, is there any capacitor mods that improve bass?

Last edited by mattnz; 8th April 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:24 PM   #1292
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnz View Post
Its very conductive it contains 99.9% pure silver, the same rule applies when applying the stuff to a CPU you musnt get any near any of the pins, I use a scalpel to apply about a grain of rice sized amount.... its definately worth while...

Ive read comments saying the bass isnt that great with these amps, Im going to be running mission m35i speakers which are 25-150w 96db, is there any capacitor mods that improve bass?
It really should not be necessary and there's always a risk of it dripping where it's not supposed to in time.

Bass not good? This should be the strong part of these amps!
Old 8th April 2010, 11:29 PM   #1293
mattnz is offline mattnz  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It really should not be necessary and there's always a risk of it dripping where it's not supposed to in time.

Bass not good? This should be the strong part of these amps!
Yeah I read it in this review

Sure 2x100W TK2050 Amplifier ? First Impressions

Im currently running them off a NAD 50w HT amp NAD underate their amps.. they sound alright but not as good as Ive heard them during a demo.... will there be an improvement if I bi amped them with a 4x100?
Old 9th April 2010, 08:28 AM   #1294
diyAudio Member

It's not a very professionally done temperature measurement, but an estimate of 50C at 24V input is quite serious. This is really strange. I test run my TK2050 amps from 41hz without heatsink for a while at such a voltage and it takes a few minutes before I feel the chip has reached a temperature above ambient temperature. With a tiny heatsink you won't even notice it's on or off!

I suspect something is seriously wrong with this design!
Old 9th April 2010, 08:51 AM   #1295
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe that's why it sounds good? lol
Old 9th April 2010, 12:57 PM   #1296
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenze View Post
Maybe that's why it sounds good? lol
Lol, can you hear overshoot?

(No you can't, but it's nevertheless a serious technical problem....)
Old 9th April 2010, 03:08 PM   #1297
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default BBM setting of 41Hz?

Quote:
It's not a very professionally done temperature measurement, but an estimate of 50C at 24V input is quite serious. This is really strange. I test run my TK2050 amps from 41hz without heatsink for a while at such a voltage and it takes a few minutes before I feel the chip has reached a temperature above ambient temperature. With a tiny heatsink you won't even notice it's on or off!

I wonder what the Break Before Make setting of the 41Hz amps are? I was playing with one of my new version 2X100 with the big silver heat sink and fan last night to get some measurements of the draw and measured the heat sink temp with the fan disconnected. I was hoping that the new larger heatsink would be big enough to run with no fan but the temp went to 65c at idle so this is clearly too hot. I have ordered some Zalman heatsinks to try as it would be much nicer to just get rid of the fan rather than putting up with the electrcal radiated noise of the newest version and also having to build a new 5v supply to keep the one for the amp clean. The stock amp measures 170ma with no fan and the amp with the 6uH air toroids measures 160 so there is a slight difference. The big question I must dive into this weekend is why the other two amps that I like the sound of the best and have the most mods, draw 270ma with no fan even though the little blue heat sink isn't getting as hot as the big silver one at only 170.
Old 9th April 2010, 04:03 PM   #1298
diyAudio Member

The 41hz amps have both pins tied to 5V, so the BBM timing should be zero. This should be the setting making them run hot, but they don't. It should also be the setting to achieve lowest distortion specs.

They sound super sweet!
Old 9th April 2010, 07:32 PM   #1299
diyAudio Member

Have any of you tried these (cheaper than Meanwell) power supplies?
Old 10th April 2010, 12:17 AM   #1300
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarpMalone View Post
Have any of you tried these (cheaper than Meanwell) power supplies?
Funny you'd ask that, because that is a Meanwell.

And apparently modders_cn is Sure Electronics.

Last edited by wwenze; 10th April 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!