Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you using the Wurth coils? They are 12X12mm the same as the ones you are taking out. They are easy to fit right back in. Getting the old ones out can be tough. I think I am going to buy another cheap soldering iron and have someone help me desolder both side at once. Otherwise the stock coils can be desoldered on one side while prying up which breaks the housing on the other side allowing the first contact to rise clear of the pad. Then the other side can be desoldered normally.

Yup, I'm using the Wurths, Scott, though not the latest ones you recommended, rather these: Digi-Key - 732-1239-1-ND (Manufacturer - 7447709004)

I just heated the hell out of one side and applied pressure from underneath to prise them off the board. I then applied extra solder to each pad on the PCB and to the coils themselves, and then soldered a short length of wire to each pad. Soldered the other end of the wire to each coils' "terminal" and voila! Initially confounding and a pain, but it wasn't so bad once I settled on a feasible plan.

Hey, you got post 1000!

--Alan

Virtual components

yes I saw it, but a bit complex, how about just swap inductor to 4.7uH (or 3.9uH as you suggested), and replace all caps to 470nf, then add Zobal (470uf and 15R)
Sorry about the confusion. That is correct. Just the two coils and the three caps plus the Zobel per channel. All of the caps are the same at .47uf. The other components in the schematic are "virtual" and are just for the simulation to model better. I will post a schematic of just the actual components when I get a chance to change it. The large Dayton caps fit underneath the board and the zobel is on the top.

No harm

Hi there, just registered to this very interesting forum.

I'm currently modding both my Lepai TA-2020 aswell as my Sure TK2050 2x100W. I've come to the point where I replace the filter inductors, but stumbled upon an issue I hope you can help me with.

Background:

I bought a lot of 10pcs 10uH toroids, and seeing as newbie-ish I still am with class D-amps I bought cheap ones. What I realised now afterwards was that I see people all over using red iron powder toroids, while the ones I bought seem to be light green ( #12 material according to iron powder material properties ).

Now with background in place, to my question: Will the TK2050 or TA2020 work well with these inductors or is it like asking for trouble? My knowledge in inductors is very limited and I don't wish to ruin neither my amps nor my speakers.

Link to the item I bought: Inductor 10uH 10 uH +/- 10% 5 pcs - eBay (item 260512722675 end time Feb-23-10 01:11:57 PST)

I'm thinking of keeping the original output filter capacitors, for the TK2050 that should give me at least an extra 20kHz to the output I suppose just by replacing the original inductors.

Thanks in advance, I don't dare solder these toroids to the boards before I know it's a harmless procedure.

It is no harm to try them. I'm sure they have at least as high a current rating as the stock coils.

Schematic for output mod

Here is the schematic for the output mod. The 3.5uH coils will give amazing transparency but the difference between transparent and glare is 1 ohm at a time in the zobel. Using the 3.9 or 4.7 coils will be more forgiving.
Digi-Key - 732-1238-1-ND (Manufacturer - 7447709003)
Digi-Key - 732-2125-1-ND (Manufacturer - 7443310390)
Digi-Key - 732-1239-1-ND (Manufacturer - 7447709004)
Parts-Express.com:Dayton DFFC-0.47 0.47uF 400V By-Pass Capacitor | polypropylene capacitor polypropylene PAC PA low pass foil film and foil dayton capacitor caps cap ac 47uf .47uf

Attachments

• Sure mod schematic comp.jpg
    Sure mod schematic comp.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,240
It is no harm to try them. I'm sure they have at least as high a current rating as the stock coils.

OK, thanks. :note:

I was just abit worried that it might be made of the wrong core material thus creating weird problems with the filtering, but then I suppose it's alright to try. I might even bring forth my soldering iron tomorrow and at the same time put some 3,3uF MKT's in the input. :)

Here is the schematic for the output mod. The 3.5uH coils will give amazing transparency but the difference between transparent and glare is 1 ohm at a time in the zobel. Using the 3.9 or 4.7 coils will be more forgiving.
Digi-Key - 732-1238-1-ND (Manufacturer - 7447709003)
Digi-Key - 732-2125-1-ND (Manufacturer -

Hi sendler,

a question about the coil, if such a low value 3.5uH is used for those tiny hi perm shield coil, than perhaps the same low value on those high quality high perm coil would give even better result. eg. MPP core with 125 perm.

Hi,

Can I set the input sensitivity to high without the fear of breaking anything with Ipod and cellphones as audio source? I'll be using the amp with 18,5V battery in a ghettoblaster. How much power do I get with 18,5V for 4 ohm load?

Is it safe to use only one output channel and just convert input signal to mono since my blaster is a mono design.

Thanks!

Speaking from my experience with 41Hz Amp4 / Amp11 that use the same chipset - they can't be too different:

1) You can set the gain pretty high. I have mine at 50 / 22 = ~2.3 X voltage gain in input stage. No problems. People have used 80 / 22 gain resistor ratios successfully. Besides that, I have my rail-voltage "power gain" resistors set a little too hot for the power I'm feeding my amps, and still everything is running very happily. If you set the input gain too high and feed a hot signal, you'll get an input-overload warning logic signal from the chip, that probably feeds a little LED that will crunch on. If you come too close to the power rails with the power stage gain, you'll get some crunch and distortion.

Too high gain costs some noise of course. But you won't destroy anything.

2) You'll be getting just under 40W max.

3) Mono? Yep. You can either zero the extra channel, or parallel them both into the same load.

You could check the 41Hz forums also for some more background on these issues - they're pretty commonly discussed there.

Last edited:
Done

Hi sendler,

a question about the coil, if such a low value 3.5uH is used for those tiny hi perm shield coil, than perhaps the same low value on those high quality high perm coil would give even better result. eg. MPP core with 125 perm.
I think I am done with coils. Done with amps! Done with my source (modified DCX2496). Time now to move on to the speakers. Active cross, constant directivity, dipole array, 4 way.

Oh, I'm sorry. It seems my toroid inductors are material 52, it was hard to see the blue because of the black coat on the coils. Will this pose a problem in the TK2050 or TA2020? Permeability = 75 according to: iron powder material properties

I see most of you use coils with permeability = 10 or less, will 75 cause serious issues then?
I couldn't wait for an answer, sorry. I just put the 52 material 10uH coils into my Lepai TA2020, it seems to work - though I haven't been able to properly test it. If it works fine without any ringing etc. these toroids are going on my Sure TK2050 board as well. :)

So this is a safe way to get a mono output and not to lose another channel?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ah, you can't feed it a stereo signal - each channel must be fed the same signal. You can do it by simply wiring inputs 1 and 2 together.

If I understand the picture like it's meant to be understood, the amp is trying to feed a stereo signal into a mono load. The mono load is fine, but the signal must also be mono, and identical.

Parallel

So this is a safe way to get a mono output and not to lose another channel?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
I don't think you can just parallel the outputs. The differing DC offsets will be a problem and you would also need some .22ohm output resistors on each leg to keep one channel from current hogging and it still might fry something. Not sure. I probably won't be the first to try it.

Perm

I couldn't wait for an answer, sorry. I just put the 52 material 10uH coils into my Lepai TA2020, it seems to work - though I haven't been able to properly test it. If it works fine without any ringing etc. these toroids are going on my Sure TK2050 board as well. :)
The perm value doesn't prevent you from using a coil as long as the windings and core have enough current rating to avoid saturation. These amps are only mid powered so it would take a really small core to cause a real failure in the event of a short circuit at the speaker wires.

I don't think you can just parallel the outputs. The differing DC offsets will be a problem and you would also need some .22ohm output resistors on each leg to keep one channel from current hogging and it still might fry something. Not sure. I probably won't be the first to try it.

OK I'll back this up somewhat: DC offsets must certainly be 0.

Paralleling any Tripath amp is generally possible, AFAIK!, as long as you observe the current limits and watch the temperature. But it's not explicitly supported in all cases ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.