Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems to me that D class amps require shielded input wire. A good triple shield in fact.

Terry

Depends, in my experience.
If it is only for the stock sure board in the box you can get away with twisted pair methinks. I have a b1 buffer in front of the sure amp that has very high input impedance which makes it a very capable EMI receiver. In fact, if I leave the input of the buffer open, touch the rca-pin from the source with one hand and hold my other hand close over the buffer, I can hear music. :D

Also an SMPS in the same box is a strong indicator to use shielded input cable for the inside wiring. I introduced a metal divider between SMPS and amp in my box and use microphone cable. Works for me.

Initial impressions of Litz wire and Ferroxcube cores

I had a roll of 14ga. Belden kicking around but it is too expensive now to buy again. It is up to $60 per 1 pound roll at Mouser. 60 feet? per pound at 14ga./.09 inch. I didn't actually measure or compute how much wire is in each coil but it used up quite a bit of the full pound for 4 coils. 8 feet each? Many of the builders at 41hz favor litz wire so I am going to try that next. I ordered some 14ga. from ebay, at $.17 per foot in large quantities if I decide to go with it, it is much more reasonably priced and theoretically has a chance to sound even better. Solid core 14ga. is available from SmallParts.com. The Belden is very nice but the cheaper wire may work and sound just as good.
Magnet Wire - .0658 OD +0.0666"/-0.0651" Copper Core with Polyamide Coating, AWG 14 1LB Spool , Approximately 80 feet - SmallParts.com
I had wanted to find readily available coils to save time on this project as I may end up using 16-20 channels, but as usual, whatever crazy idea I come up with to make sounds way better than anything I can buy. I have found out that with class D, the coil is the key to unlocking the bottle neck at the output to world beating sound.
I also ordered some Ferroxcube cores today, not the optimum ones as they are unobtainium but something close, to see if by some miracle they will sound excellent enough but I am not holding my breath.
I did some brief listening with some Litz wire air core toroids and Litz wire on Ferroxcube cores and was surprised to find that I like the sound of solid core wire better. The 14ga Litz wire has a slight blurring effect where the 14ga solid core wire is razor sharp. Some listeners might like the Litz wire to mask over their harsh CDs but I prefer to hear all of the detail on my recordings that I can get. The Ferroxcube cores are surprisingly good though. Much better detail than the T106-2 cores and less than half the turns. Not quite as fleshed out and musical as the solid core air toroids but I might use them for the bottom drivers in an active cross set up to save build time and space. I didn't check them for emissions yet but they should be even better than the type 2 cores in that regard as well.
cf5f87186e699f9e2b7cc252e8f8fc88_284.jpg

I did some brief listening with some Litz wire air core toroids and Litz wire on Ferroxcube cores and was surprised to find that I like the sound of solid core wire better. The 14ga Litz wire has a slight blurring effect where the 14ga solid core wire is razor sharp. Some listeners might like the Litz wire to mask over their harsh CDs but I prefer to hear all of the detail on my recordings that I can get. The Ferroxcube cores are surprisingly good though. Much better detail than the T106-2 cores and less than half the turns. Not quite as fleshed out and musical as the solid core air toroids but I might use them for the bottom drivers in an active cross set up to save build time and space. I didn't check them for emissions yet but they should be even better than the type 2 cores in that regard as well.
picture.php

jesus christmas.

can we nickname that board 'Dumbo'?:p

Has anyone tried running the amp without output inductors?

My tweeters are BG planars which should'nt be hurt by the HF noise and it is far above my hearing range. Intermodulation distortion may be audible, but wouldn't that be present anyway, created inside the chip before the inductor?

Some of the power would be wasted on the HF noise, but I don't host large parties and have plenty of excess volume.

After all, the best coil is no coil, right?

-dr_vega

Dr. Vega,

I have some questions on the comment you made in post #631. I can understand what you're saying and see the benefits clearly. However, I'm not sure how that translates to my setup at home, since I don't have active crossovers or XLR cables.

I'm using a 'run of the mill' cd player with RCA outputs and no preamp.
So theoretically if I had a long interconnect cable with a 50K pot I would be closer to the ideal setup that you mentioned, correct? Would this setup have benefit in your mind? I know that XLR cables have less interference concerns than shielded RCA.

Thanks again for your input.

Burned up drivers?

Has anyone tried running the amp without output inductors?

My tweeters are BG planars which should'nt be hurt by the HF noise and it is far above my hearing range. Intermodulation distortion may be audible, but wouldn't that be present anyway, created inside the chip before the inductor?

Some of the power would be wasted on the HF noise, but I don't host large parties and have plenty of excess volume.

After all, the best coil is no coil, right?

-dr_vega
I have read of great sound for a couple days and then burned up speaker drivers. EMI would be high in your neighbors AM radio.

@Phoenix
The chip is more than 80% effecient so at 2x100watt, 40 watts has to be removed by the heatsink. If you look at the spec. sheet I actually believe its even better than 80%, but just to be on the safe side.

40watts equals a very low power cpu in a pc so you dont need much heatsink to remove the heat.

Tc2000

@Phoenix
The chip is more than 80% effecient so at 2x100watt, 40 watts has to be removed by the heatsink. If you look at the spec. sheet I actually believe its even better than 80%, but just to be on the safe side.

40watts equals a very low power cpu in a pc so you dont need much heatsink to remove the heat.
The TC2000 is the driver chip. It doesn't need any heat sink.

Dr. Vega,

I have some questions on the comment you made in post #631. I can understand what you're saying and see the benefits clearly. However, I'm not sure how that translates to my setup at home, since I don't have active crossovers or XLR cables.

I'm using a 'run of the mill' cd player with RCA outputs and no preamp.
So theoretically if I had a long interconnect cable with a 50K pot I would be closer to the ideal setup that you mentioned, correct? Would this setup have benefit in your mind? I know that XLR cables have less interference concerns than shielded RCA.

Thanks again for your input.

The fact that I'm bi-amping just means that I can attach an amp to each speaker and have one channel drive the tweeter and the other channel run the midrange/woofer. If you're not bi-amping, you can still put an amp on each speaker and just use one channel to drive the speaker. If you speaker allows bi-wiring, you can use one channel each for the tweeter and woofer - just run the signal into both of the amp's inputs and run the speaker outs to each of the speaker's bi-wire terminals.

Even if the interconnects and speaker cables are equal in their contribution to sound degradation, at any quality level, interconnects are cheaper than speaker cables. Speaker cables have to carry more current, so they have to have more copper/silver/gold/whatever. So they cost more.

But my experience has been that they are not equal. Speaker cables always degrade the sound more than interconnects. Speaker cables just have a harder job to do, handling higher current and voltage and feeding varying impedance speakers (and crossovers). If you can reduce your speaker cables to less than a foot, you avoid all the problems that speaker cables introduce.

As to "long interconnects." Chances are the interconnects you are using are at least 3 feet long. That can put your speakers nearly 6 feet apart. 6 foot interconnects are pretty common and can spread your speakers 8 or 10 feet. I'm using 8 foot interconnects and my speakers are about 11 feet apart.

I'm using XLR plugs because that's what the output on my crossover has. But I'm running them unbalanced, so they are no different than RCA interconnects, just a different plug.

Finally, I don't think there is such a thing as an "ideal setup." Just lots of different, interesting, variations.

-dr_vega

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.