Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Sure Electronics New Tripath Board  tc2000+tp2050
Sure Electronics New Tripath Board  tc2000+tp2050
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2009, 02:35 PM   #731
soldersmoker is offline soldersmoker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Done for now . . .

Turns out the DIP switches operate the way I expected they should in the first place: off-off-off-off is the lowest gain. I must have been confused by semantics in something I read elsewhere in the hundreds of postings on this thread.

I opted not to bother bypassing the input caps since I'm liking what I'm hearing with Dayton polypropylenes (2.2uF/250V) in place of the four stock caps. Panasonic 1000uF/50V on each power rail, since I want to limit loud power-on thumps. Zobel network with 10R/1W Vishay/Dale "flameproofs" and Dayton 0.01uF/400V caps at the output taps.

Sounds better: more extended and delicate high frequencies and tremendous transient response! This is sub-basic for some folks on this thread, but hopefully it might help somebody somewhere. I doubt I'll mod anything else, since I just want to listen to a lot of music now.

Hopefully the Meanwell PS will improve the sound further, though I'm already using a 15V/20A linear supply that provides some stiff rectification (ripple less than 5mV peak to peak, full load and low line). 27V should be interesting. These Sure amps are a fantastic value.
Old 12th November 2009, 05:26 PM   #732
ElFishi is offline ElFishi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Can someone comment on the noise level of the fan of the 350W 24V Mean Well PSU?
Old 12th November 2009, 05:55 PM   #733
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fan never turns on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFishi View Post
Can someone comment on the noise level of the fan of the 350W 24V Mean Well PSU?
My power supply fan never turns on. The supply barely gets warmer than ambient.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:50 PM   #734
pheonix358 is offline pheonix358  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When it goes on, it's noisy! It doesn't activate very often and then only for a short time. More of a protection than anything else. These boards don't push them very far at all. If you were using the boards flat out it may be different.

Ensure all the vent holes are not blocked and when you mount it in another chassis (as you should for safety, seems a waste, if they had but an iec connector in them you wouldn't have to. ) vent the chassis well.

Another option is to mount another fan on top of theirs and run it at a lower voltage if it becomes a pain.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Old 13th November 2009, 12:18 AM   #735
temp123456 is offline temp123456  Europe
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
No way. Also be fore warned that the 4*100 boards have been having failures. I am going to stick with the 2X100 boards for now.
Sure says on their website "This is an updated amplifier board which has been fully tested. All the problems and defects having existed originally have been solved. We have improved this product by adding a washer to ensure good insulating effect and no more shortcircuit will happen again. This product still reserves the good features, so you are assured to buy our products. We’re grateful for your support and suggestions." 4*100 watt @ 4ohm, TK2050 D-class Audio Amplifier Board_Audio Amplifier Boards_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_RF and Audio, Video Equipments_Sure Electronics' Webstore

The failures Sendler refers to, are they happening even now that "All the problems and defects having existed originally have been solved. We have improved this product by adding a washer to ensure good insulating effect and no more shortcircuit will happen again." Is it just the 'old boards' that fail, and how to distinguish them, maybe by the washer?

Also wanted to point out that some of the Mean Well PSU product line are made in Taiwan, some are made in China. Leaving aside the fact that the Sure website lists Taiwan as "Province of China" on their ordering form, the Taiwan made PSU's should be more reliable, closer to Made in Japan than Made in China. Look for a photo of the PSU and you can usually read the sticker.
Old 13th November 2009, 12:29 AM   #736
diyAudio Member

Default Phase of the ripple?

Quote:
The effect is swamped by the switching noise of the amp feeding back (through almost 20mF, mind you) to the PSU. The first attached pictures shows the scope reading taken at the PSU output terminals with the amp powered but idle at 20mV/div and .5us/div. The second with a 85Hz signal at quite loud, 20mV/div 5ms/div. Both taken with the cap btn COM and Earth in place. If the cap is removed the result look slightly different, but the signal basically spans the same voltage.
I would be curious to see the phase versus the speaker output on a B channel. Is it possible that the inductors in the power supply are pumping like a current source and actually boosting the voltage as demand from the signal modulates the positive rail? The patterns don't seem to jive with the sound improvement I get when changing my linear supply to the MeanWells. They are in a whole other league. Much faster and more dynamic sound.
Old 13th November 2009, 12:30 AM   #737
pheonix358 is offline pheonix358  Australia
diyAudio Member

I had one of the improved boards, it blew. Since that time further improvements have been made.

See http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class...ml#post1969737 and http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class...ml#post1970901 posts 62 and 67 by Audio 1st. Ignore my silly posts in between. I was trying hard.

Hopefully this will cure the failure rate.

Terry

Last edited by pheonix358; 13th November 2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 13th November 2009, 12:51 AM   #738
diyAudio Member

Default 4*100 still iffy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by temp123456 View Post
Sure says on their website "This is an updated amplifier board which has been fully tested. All the problems and defects having existed originally have been solved. We have improved this product by adding a washer to ensure good insulating effect and no more shortcircuit will happen again. This product still reserves the good features, so you are assured to buy our products. We’re grateful for your support and suggestions." 4*100 watt @ 4ohm, TK2050 D-class Audio Amplifier Board_Audio Amplifier Boards_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_RF and Audio, Video Equipments_Sure Electronics' Webstore

The failures Sendler refers to, are they happening even now that "All the problems and defects having existed originally have been solved. We have improved this product by adding a washer to ensure good insulating effect and no more shortcircuit will happen again." Is it just the 'old boards' that fail, and how to distinguish them, maybe by the washer?

Also wanted to point out that some of the Mean Well PSU product line are made in Taiwan, some are made in China. Leaving aside the fact that the Sure website lists Taiwan as "Province of China" on their ordering form, the Taiwan made PSU's should be more reliable, closer to Made in Japan than Made in China. Look for a photo of the PSU and you can usually read the sticker.
Sure has been trying and will stand behind their sales. I see some of the 4*100 users reporting failures of the improved board.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class...ml#post1960183
As for the MeanWell supplies, I don't care where they are made. They sound AWESOME! And, I have yet to read about anyone having a problem with them.
Old 13th November 2009, 01:54 AM   #739
BigJim is offline BigJim  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
As for the MeanWell supplies, I don't care where they are made. They sound AWESOME! And, I have yet to read about anyone having a problem with them.
Indeed two 350W MeanWell are cheaper than one 600W. Just wonder if the 600W MeanWell would sound better, would have a deeper reserve of current. Or how does SLA power sound, this Red Wine guy says SLA is the bees knees http://www.redwineaudio.com/about/why-sla Or, does it help to stick a big-*** capacitor on the power supply to have a reserve of amps for transients.
Old 13th November 2009, 02:59 AM   #740
BigJim is offline BigJim  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Here for example is a design that uses two 12V SLA batteries. (and two capacitors, despite him saying in the interview they can foul up the sound.)
Click the image to open in full size. This unit uses "2 x 12V, 5Ah Sealed Lead-Acid (SLA) connected in series (24V system) and for charger a 12V, 1000mA SLA “auto-charger”. Would be interesting to determine the exact spec of the battery and the capacitors.

Sure Electronics New Tripath Board  tc2000+tp2050Hide this!Advertise here!