Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Sure Electronics New Tripath Board  tc2000+tp2050
Sure Electronics New Tripath Board  tc2000+tp2050
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2009, 11:05 AM   #721
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Removed input chip cap

I found some time to compare and I like the sound of the Dayton foil input caps better on their own without the little chip cap. A little more focused and coherent.
Old 11th November 2009, 07:02 PM   #722
soldersmoker is offline soldersmoker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Multiple ramblings and dumb questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldersmoker View Post
dr_vega and ElFishi, I won't rest until I double the voltage. I gotta know for myself. I'll post impressions once I have a decent preamp in a couple of weeks. You would think 12 versus 24 volts would be definitive enough to draw a strong conclusion.

Can anybody suggest a decent transport? I'm probably going to get the Valab NOS DAC. Why did I ever get rid of my CAL?
I ended up purchasing the Meanwell 27V PS--still waiting for it. Batteries were good, but I read so many raves about the higher-powered Meanwells that I just had give it a try.

New DAC is a Beresford TC-7520, which has definitely improved the digital side of my system. I might still get the VALAB DAC just because I'm curious about non-oversampling DACs. Oh yeah, I'm also a very happy owner of a babied one-owner Superphon Revelation Basic preamp. Am I the only one who interpreted the Sure board's DIP switch settings backasswards? I thought the "zero" settings for low gain meant, um, a resultant low gain instead of the opposite . . . Anyhow, I'll go for a medium gain setting since my volume control at nine o'clock is very loud.

Dumb questions alert: the input cap and the bypass cap are paralleled, correct? And won't it be ridiculous/redundant to use two foil caps versus an electrolytic/foil combo, since the 'lytic filters low freqs and the foil filters high freqs? Or should I just forgo the bypass?
Old 11th November 2009, 08:44 PM   #723
ElFishi is offline ElFishi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I wonder what the scope pattern would look like with the power supply actually powering the amp at high listening volume and with the supply outputs left floating as in the poor example? Would the amp pull the negative supply leg to audio ground and stabilize it with out the need for the jumper? It would also be interesting to see if the music power demand can modulate the supply at all. The MeanWell supplies sound very stiff to me.
The effect is swamped by the switching noise of the amp feeding back (through almost 20mF, mind you) to the PSU. The first attached pictures shows the scope reading taken at the PSU output terminals with the amp powered but idle at 20mV/div and .5us/div. The second with a 85Hz signal at quite loud, 20mV/div 5ms/div. Both taken with the cap btn COM and Earth in place. If the cap is removed the result look slightly different, but the signal basically spans the same voltage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20mV-.5us-div.jpg (31.8 KB, 668 views)
File Type: jpg 85Hz-20mV-5ms-div.jpg (26.0 KB, 659 views)
Old 12th November 2009, 03:20 AM   #724
diyAudio Member

Default MeanWell ripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFishi View Post
The effect is swamped by the switching noise of the amp feeding back (through almost 20mF, mind you) to the PSU. The first attached pictures shows the scope reading taken at the PSU output terminals with the amp powered but idle at 20mV/div and .5us/div. The second with a 85Hz signal at quite loud, 20mV/div 5ms/div. Both taken with the cap btn COM and Earth in place. If the cap is removed the result look slightly different, but the signal basically spans the same voltage.
So that's close to 40mv ripple? coming back from the 650kHz and almost as much from the 85Hz which would be the .012 seconds per cycle wave in the second shot. Doesn't look all that impressive but the MeanWell power supplies certainly sound great. You added an additional 20,000uF capacitance? I would have thought that would knock the 85Hz ripple down more than that.
Old 12th November 2009, 06:49 AM   #725
ElFishi is offline ElFishi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So that's close to 40mv ripple? coming back from the 650kHz and almost as much from the 85Hz which would be the .012 seconds per cycle wave in the second shot. Doesn't look all that impressive but the MeanWell power supplies certainly sound great. You added an additional 20,000uF capacitance? I would have thought that would knock the 85Hz ripple down more than that.
I replaced the tank caps on board with 4 x 1800uF Pana FM and I have 3 x 3300uF Yageo low-ESR caps and a 0.39Ohm resistor btn board and PSU.
Old 12th November 2009, 07:31 AM   #726
BigJim is offline BigJim  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I was thinking of taking two of these 4x100 boards, and using 6 channels to bi-amp my front 3 speakers in my 5.1 system, single-amp the back 2 speakers. Then I could use two Mean Well 24V 350W amps... or a single 600W amp for power. Run Audyssey across it all to mop up levels. Subwoofer is self powered.

Its my first project. Would you go with a single power supply or dual (or even SLA?). Are there any components that are low hanging fruit to swap out on the Sure boards?
Old 12th November 2009, 11:20 AM   #727
diyAudio Member

Default resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFishi View Post
I replaced the tank caps on board with 4 x 1800uF Pana FM and I have 3 x 3300uF Yageo low-ESR caps and a 0.39Ohm resistor btn board and PSU.
Wow! That is crazy that all that ripple, even a simple 85Hz tone, can walk right through all of that filtering especially with the resistor.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:22 AM   #728
diyAudio Member

Default The power supplies are cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I was thinking of taking two of these 4x100 boards, and using 6 channels to bi-amp my front 3 speakers in my 5.1 system, single-amp the back 2 speakers. Then I could use two Mean Well 24V 350W amps... or a single 600W amp for power. Run Audyssey across it all to mop up levels. Subwoofer is self powered.

Its my first project. Would you go with a single power supply or dual (or even SLA?). Are there any components that are low hanging fruit to swap out on the Sure boards?
Might as well go for two 350watt power supplies as they are cheap.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:40 AM   #729
temp123456 is offline temp123456  Europe
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Might as well go for two 350watt power supplies as they are cheap.
Good point, cheaper that way. I wonder why. Now, with two 350W power supplies, can or should I just wire the power supply outputs in parallel?

Last edited by temp123456; 12th November 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12th November 2009, 02:33 PM   #730
diyAudio Member

Default no way

Quote:
Originally Posted by temp123456 View Post
Good point, cheaper that way. I wonder why. Now, with two 350W power supplies, can or should I just wire the power supply outputs in parallel?
No way. Also be fore warned that the 4*100 boards have been having failures. I am going to stick with the 2X100 boards for now.

Sure Electronics New Tripath Board  tc2000+tp2050Hide this!Advertise here!