Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Sure Electronics New Tripath Board  tc2000+tp2050
Sure Electronics New Tripath Board  tc2000+tp2050
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2009, 11:36 PM   #601
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I made them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Thanks for the update sendler. Maybe I missed a post earlier but are these self-wound or did you buy them?
I made them of course. I can't even buy decent ready made cored toroids for class D let alone something as radical as those.
Old 18th October 2009, 10:30 PM   #602
ElFishi is offline ElFishi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I made them of course.
details pls
Old 18th October 2009, 10:35 PM   #603
vaughn is offline vaughn  United States
diyAudio Member

yes, we need to know!
Old 19th October 2009, 01:01 AM   #604
diyAudio Member

Default Air core toroid constuction

It wasn't too hard. A little time consuming but not any more so than winding a magnetic core. I started with 60 turns on a 1/2 inch wood dowel. Slide the cylindrical coil off the dowel and shape it into a toroid by spreading the coils on one side to become the outside of the toroid. Small tie straps hold the ends together and then some spray automotive clear to give it some strength. I am going to try some 14guage litz wire with a special low profile cable tie (7483K35) inside the toroid to compress the inner diameter a little, and one more tie around the outside before the clear to make it solid enough to reduce magneto-striction and microphonics.
McMaster-Carr
Use the calculator to get your value in the ball park. Compute the value for a certain number of turns at the outer length (circumference) and the same turns for the inner length and your value should be 1/2 way between those.
Coil Calculator - Single-layer and mutil-layer coil calculation in javascript
If you want more inductance, you can increase the dowel size to 3/4" and make it to a final value toroid of 10uH with 62 turns. A 1 inch dowel will get you all the way up towards 18uH with the same outer diameter that I have.
Old 19th October 2009, 07:09 AM   #605
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The toroids do exhibit much better EMI containment although not quite as good as the T106-2 cores which also leak a little more noise than the original little shielded bobbins.
How did you determine this?
Old 19th October 2009, 10:28 AM   #606
diyAudio Member

Default Sniff the noise with an AM radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFishi View Post
How did you determine this?
Tune an AM radio between stations to the switching frequency around 650kHz. Then, turn the amp on and off while listening to the change in the noise of the radio.
Old 19th October 2009, 09:58 PM   #607
madqwerty is offline madqwerty  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The new 14ga. air core toroids are playing and they
and they are monstrous !!! HUGE..
here's mine, much more standard ArjenHelder inductors,
born yesterday..
Click the image to open in full size. 0113 - Servimg.com - Free image hosting service

Click the image to open in full size. 0212 - Servimg.com - Free image hosting service

Click the image to open in full size. 0312 - Servimg.com - Free image hosting service

Click the image to open in full size. [img=http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6813/00sotto.th.jpg]

Click the image to open in full size. [img=http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2599/03fianco.th.jpg]

Last edited by madqwerty; 19th October 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 20th October 2009, 05:57 AM   #608
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madqwerty View Post
here's mine, much more standard ArjenHelder inductors,
born yesterday..
Very nice. Finally someone sporting a Zalman.
What filter caps do you use for the output?
Old 20th October 2009, 06:45 AM   #609
pheonix358 is offline pheonix358  Australia
diyAudio Member

Tiny bit of help please.

I have the 4 channel sure board and the meanwell 27V supply. I am fitting it all together. I will be using this amp for my computer monitors.

Output is from my sound card. I want to put volume controls in and have no idea what value to use. I know I need log taper but do I use 10K or 50K or some other value.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Terry
Old 20th October 2009, 07:17 AM   #610
swkbkk is offline swkbkk  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix358 View Post
Tiny bit of help please.
I have the 4 channel sure board and the meanwell 27V supply. I am fitting it all together. I will be using this amp for my computer monitors.

Output is from my sound card. I want to put volume controls in and have no idea what value to use. I know I need log taper but do I use 10K or 50K or some other value.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Terry
The manual for my 2 channel unit suggests the value of 50K and that's what I have used on my board. I am happy with it. I mean it's dead quiet when I turn the knob to the leftmost, and I never have to turn it to the rightmost as it gets too loud for me. And on my board, there is a DIP switch that can be used to set the gain of the amp, but then I have never set them to anything other than in all off position. BTW, mine is a 2 channel version, not a 4 channel version.

I remember reading somewhere that the potentiometer value should match the input impedence of whatever it will be controlling, but sorry to say that I can't remember where I read it from.

Sure Electronics New Tripath Board  tc2000+tp2050Hide this!Advertise here!