diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   10,000 watt class D amp (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/143607-10-000-watt-class-d-amp.html)

BillyDoc 7th May 2009 12:36 AM

10,000 watt class D amp

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, but found this blog because I have been researching a nasty problem and found a lot of good information here already. But I could sure still use some help!

I'm trying to design a testing apparatus that needs to develop sound levels pretty close to what you would get if you were standing next to a Shuttle launch. Specifically, over 150 dB, but at frequencies from about 2 Hz up to 500 Hz. This will be "pink" noise, so great fidelity is not a requirement. I've found some speakers, Kicker SoloX 18s, that can take 10,000 watts . . . briefly. I only need to turn these guys on for about 10 seconds, max, and there will be four of them. Then they get a chance to cool down a bit.

My first thought was a full bridge (H-bridge) with some high current MOSFETS driven by a PWM scheme of some sort, and I did locate a few chips to do some of the heavy lifting on the front end of that. BUT you guys have a LOT more experience with high current amps than I do, so how would you go about this problem? Which chips would you use for the PWM? Can you recommend some MOSFETs for the H-bridge? Gate drivers? Am I crazy for trying this?

Thanks for your help!

BillyDoc

luka 7th May 2009 09:47 AM

There a a lot of subs that can take 10kw, Ground zero, kickers, Digital Designs, Audiopulse and maaaany more...

all that are used dB drag races, car audio...

If you think you will design 10kw amp yourself, well you have a looong way before that, it could be cheaper and way faster to buy one or two that will do that..

So how are they powered? 12vDC, 120/230vAC?
I mean you have some options on your hands

Pafi 7th May 2009 11:04 AM

Billy!

I'd suggest using IGBTs (eg. IRGP50B60, maybe paralelled), or if you stay at MOSFET, then you have to use BCA topology.

Optimal supply voltage is somewhere around 400...550 V, so you need 8 ohm impedance. IR2113 is a good driver, however there is a problem with very narrow pulses, so you have to limit duty cycle!

Eva 7th May 2009 11:07 AM

Do you need to generate that SPL in a room or open field? At which distance from the source?

Pafi 7th May 2009 12:06 PM

It's possible only in a closed box.

Eva 7th May 2009 12:22 PM

With a few bass horns you can have 145dB at 1m down to 30-40Hz, open field. Built with readily available materials.

Pafi 7th May 2009 12:55 PM

2 Hz

peranders 7th May 2009 01:00 PM

14000 watts

http://www.labgruppen.com/products/f...ies/c/fp_14000

2 Hz and 150 dB? Have you really thought about this? How does your speaker look like?

Curious, but what is your application?

acid_k2 7th May 2009 01:17 PM

BillyDoc,
are you talking about a dB drag race?

if yes, you need something to make only a loud noise. IMMO it's something different to audio devices. If you know words like "150 db" and "10000 watts", and you don't know words like THD, Xmax and clipping, you don't need an amplifier. You need something to make noise. And you're a lucky guy, because building a raw noise maker is simplier than building an good audio amplifier.

if not, you need it for audio. Maybe someone sells some good 10kW amplifiers in this world, buy one of them. It's simplier, cheap, less time-wasting and less dangerous. IMMO.

Gyula 7th May 2009 01:58 PM

If you have to generate only loud noise, I would suggest you alternative and much cheaper solutions. E.g. you can remove the exhaust pipe from your car's engine and connect exponential cones directly to the outlets on the cylinder head. Then start the engine and push the pedal.