Hissy Tripath amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it me or do all Tripath based amps give off a little hiss? Can this be reduced somehow?

I recently bought some active bi-amped studio monitors as spares and repairs, and one of the amps had blown in one of the monitors. The other one was working fine, and was a LM3886 based amp circuit.

Now, for the blown amp I decided to remove the amp and crossover, and see if I could use a Tripath amp instead. I'm using a DCX 2496 as source and crossover, and I've got the outputs from the DCX going thru a pot to reduce the gain.

I've tried a 41Hz.com Amp6basic and amp9basic, and a few of the pre-made amp-modules by sure electronics, and while the sound quality is good, there is definitely more hiss than the LM3886 based amp, mainly with the tweeter. My amp9b is running from and 24v SMPS, and my amp6b was running from Li-ion battery for testing...

As I'm using them as nearfield monitors I guess I'm in the worst case scenario for hearing the hiss, but is there a way if reducing this hiss? I was thinking I could put a high power resistor series with the tweeter, as I've already got the tweeter set to -6Db compared to the woofer on the DCX so I'm not worried about the reduced output.

Are there any other ways of reducing hiss? Shielding of the amp PCB maybe? If I could achieve a similar noise floor to the LM3886 circuit I'd be happy... :)

I've checked it not the source giving hiss as I'm still getting hiss with the amp inputs shorted...

panomaniac said:
Mike are you sure the hiss is from the amps? I've Amp6 many, many times and a few Amp9s - never any hiss.

I have heard other Tripath amps with hiss, for sure, but not those two.
I thought so as well, but as I'm sat around 1ft from the tweeter and I'm guessing the tweeter is pretty sensitive, so I think almost any amp would make a little noise.

With the resistor in series, it is much less hissy so I'm now a happy man. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.