PowerSoft Q3002

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, Have been reading this forum for some time and I must say there is heap of good information to get off here.

I purchased a dead Q3002 Quad Class D amp off Ebay several months back. I believe it was used in a cinema since 2003 and never touched.
Once the lid was off, the service guys have removed both +/- 90V rail fuses and the two mains fuses. Have parts on order although they aren't anything special. The amp has failed due to its dead cooling fan which inturn caused virtually all 18 of th 1800uf 100V caps on the secondary side to dry out and leak eletrolyte. I have 100 on order from Panasonic (LowESR) and once they arrive, replace the caps one semiconductor and o/c resistor to see if she fires up. Start it off a variac of course.

Does anyone know what type of fuses these use? I would think fast acting ceramic 3AG or are they 3AG glass type?

In addition, would anybody have a schematic for this amp. Love to see the SMPS and PFC circuitry.

The layout looks good however, trying to fit 4 x PWM amps and powersupply into a 1RU box has made things fairly tight. Much appreciated if a schematic could be PM'd.

Let you know how it comes up once the caps arrive. Spares for others in similar circumstances.

Rob

Eva,
No problems, I'll get some pics of the internals as the amplifier modules are modular in design and are very well made.

I've used one of these amps before a couple of years back and was impressed with its power for size however, cost over $4000 AUD at the time. Stick to lugging my Yahama 2002 around to gigs.
I have 2 x QSC PLX3602 now and these use SMPS with Class H output stage. Nice and light on the back.

These are the output specs on the Q3002 from the user manual.

All channels working
(1KHz, 1% THD)
750W into 2 Ohm
400W into 4 Ohm
250W into 8 Ohm per channel

1500W into 4 Ohms BTL
800W into 8 Ohm BTL

Power supply looks like a half bridge design with PFC on the front end. 900VA avg uses Unitrode IC's for both PFC and SMPS drive. No SG3525A in these.

I'll take some snaps of the PWM modules and the SMPS and put up on the forum after work.

Rob;)

Pictures of internals.

Eva,
Find attached zipped jpegs of internal of my Q3002.
The file is 4Meg in size after knocking the res down to several hundred K from 5-6Meg per pic.

Fuses where missing when I received it. Fuse ratings are on the PWM modules however, not sure if they are fast acting or slowblow and if they are the standard 3AG glass type or the ceramic quicksorb.

Your experience suggests that a slow blow type is recommended for the PWM modules. Fast acting for the SMPS?

Remember, I have removed all the secondary side caps as they are had it. I have also removed the drive heastsink block.

I have placed the buggered fan back into the chassis to show how its all pack in to a single rack unit. Very light.

Anyway, take a look and let me know.

Questions are welcome.

Rob:)

PICS FROM ROBBO67

FRONT PANEL

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FUSE RATINGS

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

MISSING MAIN FUSES

MAINS INPUT FILTER

PWM MODULE - LOWER SECTION

PWM MODULE PIGGYBACK

STEREO MODULE

PWM DRIVER PCB

SMPS BR DRIVER PFC

SMPS CONTROL CLOCK

SMPS CONTROL PFC

SMPS CONTROL UC3842 DRIVER

SMPS CONTROL UC3842

SMPS MAIN TRANSFORMERS

SMPS - NO HEATSINK - CAPS

SMPS - SEC DIODES - FAN DRIVER

Fuse type

Thanks for the info on the fuses. I had a suspicion that the fuses were ceramic type. Fit for purpose. I would imagine glass fuses exploding if a s/c occured. Seen plenty in television sets when the deguass PTC goes S/C. Whats left are the end caps of glass delay fuse in its socket or black like a blowfly was stuffed up the glass tube.

NO!... I haven't a schematic for it as yet however, any willing tech that has a circuit please let me know.

Thanks for your help guys.
BTW my 1800uf 100V caps are on their way from USA..

Let you know how it goes.

Cheers Rob:D

All working

Guys,
Managed some time to replaced IFRBC30A, 22R fusible resistor and 20 x 1800uf 100V caps. Ended up getting the correct 12V fan from RS components. First time for everthing.

Purchased the right gF fuses for it (Thanks for your help Eva). Checked out for any low readings on supply rails for both amps and PS with the multimeter. Remounted the SMPS then powering up off the Variac.

All burst into life without smoke or fire!! Fantastic.

Quite impressed with the sound. The Class-D heatsink and ouput inductors do run a little warm even without any signal applied. I'm guessing they may use the BCA topology 50% - 50% PWM ?? Need to see the schematic to confirm.

BTW, still looking for a schematic?
Any techs out there willing to help me out here with a cartoon.

Thanks to all.
:D

Sorry for the kick and (sort-of) off topic question, but:
How does the Q3002 compare to the PLX sound quality wise?
I am aware of the difference in power, I am just curious which sounds better, if there even are big differences...

I am considering to buy the powersoft (used) but I never heard one before, in opposite to the plx series, of which I have owned almost every model.

Thanks in advance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.