TA2020 or TA2024?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a total newbie to the whole Tripath/T-amps thing, and I'm feeling bewildered! I've looked through the FAQ, but these forums are more for DIY mod types (and I'm in awe of what you guys do!)

What's the difference between the TA2020 and TA2024? From what I've read, it seems that the TA2020 is newer and better than the TA2024? The TA2020 is maybe a little cleaner, more powerful. Is that right? (I understand we're talking about low power amps here).

I've read great things about the Trends model. And then I see things like the Topping MK3 TA2024 on Ebay, and it looks pretty good... but is it?

And what about the Lepai TA2020-020, V3.1? Do the bass/treble options detract in any way from the cleanness of the audio produced by the amp?

Is there something better I should be looking at under $75?

Last but not least... are my speakers efficient enough for a class D amp?

SPECS:
Drivers: 6.5" low frequency, 1" silk dome high frequency
Crossover: 2.5 kHz, 2nd-order filters (12 dB per octave)
Frequency Response: 45 Hz - 18 kHz, ±3 dB
Power Handling: 120 watts program, 200 watts peak (using EIA- 426A method)
Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
Sensitivity: 88 dB SPL @ 1 watt and 1 meter on axis

...I'm looking for a small amp that's good to go out of the box for under $75, preferably with RCS inputs and a power switch on the front. I wouldn't know how to mod it. I don't want to have to do more than maybe go to Radio Shack to pick up a power supply for it (if it doesn't come with one).

I have an amazing firewire Apogee D/A converter connected to my Mac Mini, and I need an amp to drive my speakers. To be honest, the amp doesn't even need a volume knob - but if it has one... that's fine.

"88dB/1W/4ohm...
Too low for a TA2024 if you are more than 1 meter away from your speakers."

What's the difference between the TA2020 and TA2024? The speakers in question are actually nearfield monitors. I'm assuming that's what the 1 meter spec is about. They're my desktop / work speakers (except I have them raised a foot above the height of the desktop).

I never listen loud with these speakers, but I want as detailed of sound as I can get without having to put more money into these speakers. If I have to spend more than $100, I'd just sell the speakers and buy powered nearfield monitors.

Hi,

I also disagree about the power limitation, 10w is already enough even for a standard room. Isn't Nelson Pass making appliers with the same rating with success? I myself just bought one of the TA2424 based tiny amplifier to drive a pair of 87dB 2 ways Triangle bookshelves. Awesome! I don't feel the need for 100w anymore...

I bought it from this seller that I warmly recommend:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...65640&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

The PSU is a Samsung.
Cheers
Mickael
Ebay link

Different points of view!
A 7W monotriode amp is something i listen everyday with 94dB/1W/8ohm loudspeakers in a 50 square meters room, a 10W T-Amp is not so wonderful to listen IMO.
Hard clipping and poor overall quality when near its limit makes me very conservative with volume control...
A friend of mine has a 1+1W with normal loudspeakers, but he's in love with whispers in music! :confused:

gianxdiy said:
A 7W monotriode amp is something i listen everyday with 94dB/1W/8ohm loudspeakers in a 50 square meters room, a 10W T-Amp is not so wonderful to listen IMO.
Hard clipping and poor overall quality when near its limit makes me very conservative with volume control...
A friend of mine has a 1+1W with normal loudspeakers, but he's in love with whispers in music! :confused:

hehe :)

W3-871S, 8 Ohm, wasn't loud enough for me with 41Hz Amp6 (TA2020)
Omnes BB 3.01, very similar but 4 Ohm, is very fine with Amp6
... both are rated 88dB

gianxdiy said:

If you look at the Tripath TA2024 distortion vs. power graph, the 4 ohm curve shows that output goes up to about 10-11 watts before objectionably distorting. The 8 ohm curve shows that the power is almost halved to about 6 watts. I also verified that my TA2024-powered amp and my 88dB, 4 ohm two-way monitors were well capable of filling up my moderate size living room and my listening room with plenty of sound. A good power supply can make a significant difference in the overall sound quality.

Attachments

• ta2024 thd+n vs. output power.jpg
    ta2024 thd+n vs. output power.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,336
rhing said:

If you look at the Tripath TA2024 distortion vs. power graph, the 4 ohm curve shows that output goes up to about 10-11 watts before objectionably distorting. The 8 ohm curve shows that the power is almost halved to about 6 watts. I also verified that my TA2024-powered amp and my 88dB, 4 ohm two-way monitors were well capable of filling up my moderate size living room and my listening room with plenty of sound. A good power supply can make a significant difference in the overall sound quality.

i agree ta2024 is more than enough power for my even 83 db diy speaker. plenty of power to shake the room.

rhing said:

That only 1khz, tell you nothing, but lighter load more distortion, strange. You have THD Vs Frq sweep with step power or group delay? Maybe it not so good?

goodgnus said:

Can you recommend a good power supply for this Lepai TA2020 amp?

I am not sure what to recommend since the Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS) I use required me to install it in an enclosure, wire an IEC AC inlet and fabricate a DC power cable. On top of that, I replaced the onboard filter caps on the power supply with Panasonic FM electrolytic caps. With a TA2020 T-amp like the Charlize from DIY Paradise, some have used power supplies that put out 14+V/5A.

chchyong89 said:
here is my TA2024..
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

but seriously, sound quite low when driving my BR2:D

same as mine. upgrade the input caps and you are in paradise for those sort of money paid.

BUT of course there is better amp out there if we are willing to pay. but for the money paid. this amp is valued

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.