Hypex and AC Coupling - newbie question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all gentlemen. Dumb question I know,,, please bear with me, I'm learning

I'm using a tube preamp with a UcD180 poweramp. On the hypex site there's written that it's possible for tube amps to produce the anode voltage to the output on turn on/off transients and kill the hypex.

I mailed the hypex guys [many thx as always Frank] and they explained me to AC couple the pre and poweramp. Frank suggested to use a 1 or 2uF cap for the job.

Now, on the preamp, I got a 0.1uF cap right before the output [in series] but I've been suggested by many a person to use a 1uF cap. I know in hifi preamps you use bigger output caps but this is a guitar preamp and it works ok with the 0.1uF sound-wise. Also, the leads of the 3.3uF cap I got are too big to fit in the preamp pcb so I'd like to leave the 0.1 in there.

Now the question: with regard to dc blocking, is a bigger cap needed or is it just the same?

Looking at the reactance formula, with a frequency of 0 [direct current] you get infinite reactance, no matter what capacitance your cap is, so I'd say it's not an issue and I can leave the 0.1uF in place,,, am I right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.