8 Channel Class D Based on TAS5706A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, I've just started a 8 channel Class D amp based on TI TAS5706A, I've finished the first stage of schematics. I'm designing 4 TAS5706A modules which will then be plugged on to a Base board with an ARM7 microcontroller for all the i2c and control stuff. Does the TAS5706 require any additional heatsink apart from the PCB copper layer? I've attached a block diagram. i can also attach the schematics if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• tasg4.jpg
    tasg4.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 346
The TAS5706 EVM2 PCB is roughly 2 inches by 3 inches...
Has a serious groundplane. Presumably for heatsinking?
I've tested hundreds, never even felt one get warm.

But my procedure is fairly brief, I can't say for sure
what happens in extended use? And I'm just a test
monkey, not a real engineer who knows anything.

I'd have to point you to TI's spec sheet.

Well it'd be impossible for me to solder the thermal pad on the TAS5706A without some kind of hot air or BGA rework tool. So i'm planning to have 4 - 5 0.1" PTH holes so i can solder the pad and fill up PTH. I guess this will give better thermal conductivity than the tiny vias used in the EVM.
Another question is that, can i use standard 0.1" berg strip headers to provide power supply to the TAS5706A. Will this be able to handle the current? Of course i'm using 6 pins for PVCC and 12 for Gnd on the main connector, instead of a single pin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.