catastrophic error in UcD700HG supplied connection diagram

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

lwr

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I recently recieved a pair of UcD700HG modules with HxR along with the UcD700 supply, and TR700. The quality of the boards, parts, and layout are excellent, but the connection diagram supplied with the amp module has a catastrophic error.

Although the 14 page installation manual has full color photos of the current product, unfortunately the connection diagram has not been updated, and I did not discover the error until it resulted in dammage to the fist unit I assembled and tested.

I have copied and carefully edited the connection diagram (attached) to now show both the one that is correct for what I call "UcD700HG modules prior to Nov2007" and the current "Nov2007 UcD700HG modules." In a side by side comparrison you can see the differences between the boards that the Hypex proof-reader (and I) missed.

I have tried to call Hypex but have not been able to get through. I'm sending them an email about this, but I thought I had better post this on diyAudio too, in the hopes that anyone else that has recently recieved UcD700HD modules will be forewarned not to use the connection diagram that comes with them.

I'll let you know how the warranty repair works out for me.

lwr

Attachments

• 2 edited diagrams.jpg
    2 edited diagrams.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 771
Hi lwr,

Thank you for notifying us about this error. We did discover this error a while ago and corrected it immediately.
Customers that have damaged their amplifier due to this error will have it replaced or repaired as quickly as possible. The labels on the board itself have always been correct.

We have always been very easy to reach by phone. It may have been the time difference.

Jorrit
Hypex Electronics

lwr

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Dawg,

I received the old date instruction with new date module. Apparently Hypex is aware of the problem and has corrected the connection diagrams to match the new date modules. I was just unlucky enough to have gotten mine before the correction was made.

In over 45 years of buying boards, parts, upgrade modules, and kits, I have never seen such superior quality as what I have received from Hypex. In fact, I was so impressed that I didn't do the reconciliation of the board layout with the connection diagram that I have always done with everybody else.

What can I say? Even though I was taken in by Murphy's Law, I'm not too embarrassed by the incident. If I had made such a mistake with one of the Heath scope kits or OCSL boards of the bygone era - now THAT would be embarassing.

In the future I WILL reconcile the board layout with the connection diagram on Hypex products, but even so it will by no means be with the trepidation that it is totally justified to have with most other vendors.

I'll let you know how the warranty repair works out.

lwr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.