Mini review: Class-D Designs NX200 vs Hypex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
we have try nx200 class d amp abx to tripathi. all people like much tripathi. no saying to how but better. now we liking lot tube input for tripathi gooder than any cap. group buy for tripathi now smart thing for nobody can knowing how many they left? Making people sad when tripathi all gone if you no have what then you doing?

odd time to delete stuff Iain. That side of the thread had silenced a while ago?

@ Col
Yes that is a bargain. I can't remember where I else saw the 3020, but I seem to remember it priced at $69? Has connex raised its prices or maybe I have seen it elsewhere?

A shootout between the nx200, hypex ucd180 and the Tripath 3020 would be a very interesting article (don't know any other contenders in this price calls vs. SQ).

hypex compare to everything now. It good thing to know who say compare. Hobby guy he build like hobby guy with resulta not how pro could be. Big magasin comparing hypex to lot of amp already you see here. They use ST because HG not so good? It seeing really ok to other, making to see funny how other not so ok to it. Tripathi will be antique, buy cheap sell high, this good deal.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1290266#post1290266

@ Col Yes that is a bargain. I can't remember where I else saw the 3020, but I seem to remember it priced at $69? Has connex raised its prices or maybe I have seen it elsewhere?

It's a new version (V2) with the power supply built in, hence the price increase.

you can read all about it in the connexeclectronics thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134747

col

NX200 5 channel Power amp

Hi all

Just half way through building a 5 channel power amp to plug into my HTPC sound card pre amps which is the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe (very good sound quality highly recommend).

I am using the NX200 modules so will post when completed and i will let you know how it competes to the Hypex udc180's as i have a friend which has a two channel power amp to be able to do a comparison. I was going to use Udc180's but one's budget is restrictive.

Cheers all

The modules arrived a while ago - I'm waiting for a new aluminium enclosure and other parts to arrive.

The modules arrived without paperwork so I asked Class-D for some info - worth noting for anyone who wants to use these amps:

The mosfets should be insulated from the heatsink
The trimmer adjusts bias current - around 60mA is optimal, 30-100mA normal range
C6 is an input coupling capacitor - looks ceramic so worth bypassing
Input impedance is around 12Kohm

My enclosure, connectors and other bits should arrive by the end of the week. I've also ordered two 100uF 100V Rubycon ZLH caps to replace the Samwha PSU caps on each board. I'm also keen to replace the 47uF feedback cap with 2x30uF MKV film cap. If I can ensure I have enough access to swap caps after building the amp, I'll test the amp boards 'as supplied' before making the cap upgrades. If the case is too tight, I'll change caps before assembling the amp. While this isn't ideal, I think anyone looking at using these modules would upgrade the caps.

sharpi31 said:
The modules arrived a while ago

Glad to hear that you have at last got your modules Mine also arrived without any information or wiring diagram so had to phone them to e-mail it to me. Incidentally, they said the the best way of adjusting the bias was using an oscilloscope and signal generator and set up for a minimum crossover distortion.
Also said that, as I haven't got an oscilloscope adjusting the bias to 30 milliamps was recommended. So take your pick.

Please class-d if you read this, make it a policy to put the instructions/wiring diagram automatically in with the order before dispatch. It would save a lot of hassle and frustration for your customers and much more businesslike.

Please do a test and review before modifying these boards if at all possible. I can imagine if you don't do this and you get inferior results class-d will say it's because you have adversely affected a good product. On the other hand, with good results then it's all to do with your modifications and we get no definitive answers.
A before and after review would make very interesting reading.

Wouldn't have the technical knowledge to know if replacing the capacitors as you suggest is worthwhile sonically or not. So would be interested to know the reason why you are replacing them.
Also, Isn't the input capacitor there to protect against dc voltages on the input causing damage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.