Mini review: Class-D Designs NX200 vs Hypex - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2009, 05:22 PM   #11
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

I agree cirrus, the proof of the pudding is in the eating & so far you are the only one to sample this particular pie & offer an opinion on how it tastes.

Dcibel reflects the attitude of a lot of people here with all sorts of negative statements about these modules without ever having heard one - indeed I'm sure he'll defend this stance but the bias in this approach is evident!
Old 1st April 2009, 05:23 PM   #12
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cirrus18
Why does everybody keep blabbering on about efficiency?
Probably because this is the Class-D forum, and some people care about power consumption...green world, lower power bills, light weight amps, etc.
Old 1st April 2009, 05:25 PM   #13
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jkeny
Dcibel reflects the attitude of a lot of people here with all sorts of negative statements about these modules without ever having heard one - indeed I'm sure he'll defend this stance but the bias in this approach is evident!
My only intent is to relay information so people can make an educated decision. Please note that none of my comments are relating to the sound of the amp, but to it's construction, and the reported service from the company. I don't have to have one to know these facts.
Old 1st April 2009, 05:45 PM   #14
Banned

I agree that the company hasn't done themselves any favours with their free module offer which they seem not to have sent to all winners.

I would dispute your negative view of the construction quality of their boards - this is an opinion not a "fact"

But I again go back to sound & price - that's why cirrus report is useful & more reports on the modules would be useful.

I don't believe any winners who have received their modules have yet posted listening impressions.
Old 1st April 2009, 06:09 PM   #15
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

cirrus18,

Thanks for the review. I too have a pair of Hypex180HG and like the sound very much. I wanted to try the NX200 but with all the bad comments in this forum (none regarding how it sounds), I have not purchased them. Elsewhere, I read that changing the caps to ELNA Silmic or Cerafine will improve the sound (not in thethe NX, but in something similar)
Old 1st April 2009, 10:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

How's this for an idea.

I may find out that I'm made redundant tomorrow and if I am, I'll buy a couple of NX200 modules and build an amp. I've got a 330VA transformer that will do the job, and a bunch of DNM slit foil caps needing a home. Got a few unpopulated power supply boards and a couple of rectifiers so all I need is a case, some connectors and time (which I'll have plenty of).

I've already got a UCD180HG power amp (not with HPR/HNR regs) so I can do a comparison.

I've been thinking about buying a couple for a while, as I was intrigued by the amount of bitching that there had been over something that hardly anyone had tried.

I've no agenda - I'd be happy if the scandelous upstart proved victorious over the current flavour of the month. Likewise, I'd be content if my (more expensive) existing amp reigned supreme.

C'mon guys. No-one goes mad over bad manufacturer PR or questinable build quality when someone's found an amazingly cheap chinese tube amp (I'm not saying all chinese kit is badly built - a lot of it is great). Let's extend class-d design the same courtesy: ignore the poor customer service, ignore the fact that some have questioned build quality and let's start seeing what we can do with these cheap amp modules.

That is what makes this forum great :-)
Old 1st April 2009, 10:39 PM   #17
Havoc08 is offline Havoc08  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Havoc08
@sharpi31
Awaiting in excitement your unbiased review

Statistical evidence is needed before spending my short-in-supply student savings
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:35 AM   #18
Banned

sharpi31, I hope that you aren't made redundant!

I too look forward to your review if it happens.

Havoc08 seems already to have expressed some cynicism about your bias with his last post but as he says he's entitled to his opinion.
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:59 AM   #19
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Sharpie31, I hope you stay too employed to spend too much time building amplifiers. Being without a paycheck is no fun (at least not for long!).

Everyone should probably back off on cirrus18, why can't he give his opinion like anyone else, and he is the only one who has heard the amps anyway. Maybe ClassD (company) puts something in the boards that the German guy doesn't?

But it does seem that that discussion is more suited to the "Solid State" forum rather than the "ClassD", seeing as the only thing that is ClassD about those amps is the name of the company that makes them!

One question, though, cirrus18 -- where in the world are you getting heatsinks for "peanuts"?? In my experience, cost of decent heatsinks that look good in a build are third in line behind (#1) enclosure and (#2) power supply, at least when building an amp from scratch (though that experience was mostly with Class A building). Notice that power devices and low level circuitry run 4th in cost in that rundown... transistors and resistors are relatively CHEAP at least from electronic distributor catalogs. Is there a cheap surplus heatsink company that I'm not getting ads from?
Old 2nd April 2009, 04:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Been made redundant. Two modules ordered :-)

I'm looking forward to starting a new project on Monday, rather than another week of working my **** off.

Hide this!Advertise here!