Topping TP10 Mk3 and Topping TP20 impressons? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2009, 04:51 AM   #1
morfic is offline morfic  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Topping TP10 Mk3 and Topping TP20 impressons?

Are the Topping TP10 Mk3 (newer TA2024 amp) and the Topping TP20 (TA2020 amp) more in the "good to go" range or the "nice out of the box but better modded" range.
I can't tell what size the input caps are (waiting for answer from seller, but based on how my dac research is going, not sure how much to make of their answers).
Although i talk about them being new, i hope someone has one and can share how they sound out of the box and what (if anything) he/she has done to the amp since.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 1st April 2009, 05:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I bought two of the Topping TP-10 amplifiers, not the Mark II, for my daughters to use with their computers. To my ears which are , if not 'Golden' , fairly discerning, they sound very good. I can't tell a difference between the sound of the Topping and my Trends. I am sure that there tweaks that could offer marginal improvments, there always are. But I would not say that any improvements would be 'required'.
Old 1st April 2009, 05:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Did you open yours? they used to have 2 larger caps in it, now the new board looks rather bare, when i saw the TP20, i figured it may be the TA2020 just doesn't need more to sound good then i noticed the Mark3 of the TP10 is equally bare.
Since most Tripath mods relate to larger caps, i am now not sure what they did to think the new design is an improvement, i think they realize by now they cater to a picky crowd and should be careful not to change things just to be cheap.

Worst case i pick up one of them and find out, too bad i started reading about HLLY hissing on diyaudio, i almost picked up their TA2020 model...just when i thought my comparing/googling is over

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 1st April 2009, 05:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I did open them to put heatsinks on the 2024 chips. But it was a while ago . If I remember right (and I am not 100% sure I do) they had film input caps and input offset adjustment pots as well. At any rate I don't remember seeing anything that would have concerned me. That I would have remembered.
Old 7th April 2009, 04:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

i bought one off that auction site and i am very impressed with it,
it was very cheap & extremely well made especially when you take into account the
price. i paid 60 inc shipping which took 5 days.

i've only had it a few days but , to my ears it sounds good, if a little bright.
bass is there, but doesn't go really really low. i need to let it run in a bit.
it is dead silent in operation, no hiss with or without source connected with vol
turned up.

there is only one thing i can complain about, and thats the eye wateringly bright
blue led, its like a torch! apart from that its a great little amp for the money.
Old 8th April 2009, 12:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have the TP10 Mk3 coming, shipped Sunday and it's already this side of the pont, hopefully i get to find out how well it works by this weekend.
I consider changing the blue led to an amber one, might look good to have the volume knob backlit amber instead of blue aside from killing the blue light that is used to keep truck drivers from falling asleep.

Considered the TP20 for a while but i think for my needs, TP10 will do, supposedly the Mk3 is revised based on user feedback and "better" than the Mk2, whatever "better" means here

Plus, if there is anything to be complained about, there is enough room and it has enough through hole parts that it could be easily "fixed".
Old 8th April 2009, 07:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

i have the mark II version, the blue led on the mark III
may not be as bright as its behind the volume knob, which i think looks cool
whats the difference between the mark 2 & 3?
mine can go reasonably loud, im running it with 89db floorstanders
Old 9th April 2009, 12:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

A few different parts are used as can be seen on the images of the boards, Mk3 is supposed to be improved based on user feedback is what i got as answer. The cosmetics are the most apparent changes i think. Minor change in the capacitance of the input caps together with new brand is only thing i can be "sure of".

My amp got here after 3 days, too bad i can't reach post office before Friday
Old 9th April 2009, 05:30 PM   #9
maiky76 is offline maiky76  France
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Did any one listened to one of them the price seems fair

Ebay

Cheers
Mickael
Old 10th April 2009, 02:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Only had a quick listen today, sounded very detailed, not bright like the DTA-1 i had before (a Dayton rebrand of the original SI t-amp it seems)

I got mine from indeed-hi-fi-lab, the shipping for the amp+adapter is actually EMS and made it to texas in 3 days. Total is just shy of $95.

So far the first impression was good, money well spent.

I now also understand why my friend's only comment was "Those speaker terminals look like those on my Trend TA-10.1, i hate them."

They are a little plainful to use, but i am not going to change wires often enough to make it a real issue, they do their job, they are just not sized for grown up fingers....

I'll update my impression of the TP10 Mk3 once i had some more time to hear it.

Hide this!Advertise here!