Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2009, 03:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default HLLY amps are a ripoff. BEWARE!

OK, I've just about had it and it is time to flame.

I bought not one, but two HLLY Tamp-90's. They are so NOISY with HISS that you cannot listen to them.

I've written at least a dozen letters to the company and the eBay vendor and just keep getting stalled.

Return shipping would be $209 -- cost prohibitive. I get promises of refunds, but no refund.

I even wrote directly to the HLLY person on this very forum. No answer.

There is no possible way these amps are within the rated specifications.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU AVOID PURCHASING ANYTHING FROM THEM.

Mark
Old 31st March 2009, 03:35 PM   #2
spitzer

valleyman also problems with them but as seen in end of thread problem fixed by US sales department. Maybe they can take your return for cheaper.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...91#post1735491

Why complaining when this for shopping? It just personal and we have to be good company for good deals. You did get what you paid for, good deals. IC d amps on ebay have noise expected but lots of cap tweak treads that help make sonic impact sweeter.

Hoping this help you and let us know because I have buying HLLY amp now for for good deal in active speaker big multi channel set up for boat races and barbecue.
Old 1st April 2009, 03:30 AM   #3
morglo is offline morglo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

One could easily believe that someone is not actually from the country the flag represents.
One could further believe that the same someone is not very comfortable with the use of english.
This could also lead one to believe that certain ebay vendors tries to shy away from responsibilities.
But who knows for certain what to believe
Old 1st April 2009, 03:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why complaining when this for shopping? It just personal and we have to be good company for good deals.
Maybe you are not used to complaints from dissatisfied customers where you are from - also maybe if not used to complaints from dissatisfied customers try to keep sales in country of origin, also maybe should take course in marketing with honest representation of product.

Ok, bud, the deal is: if you do not react to customers complaints, do not answer there request for rectification of the problem in a timely manner, do not be surprised when the name of company selling an unsatisfactory product gets muddied.

And make no mistake: in the western world the personal becomes public as a matter of course if you p/o people.

And another and: 200$ is enough money to expect a product working as a technologically product advanced enough to fulfill teh minimum requirements as to distortion, noise etc. , noisy crap you can buy for a lot less.
Old 1st April 2009, 04:29 AM   #5
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default audiokraut...

my daughter's BF bought one of these. I haven't heard it, but he states it is noisy. Why would he lie? I've read elsewhere that some class D ( and class T ) amps have a significant amount of "hiss".

I don't know if this is THE solution, but would a filtered output work?

I do know that my 41 Hz amp makes no noise that is perceivable, and thus requires no such re-work.

I think one ought to take an "experimenter's approach" when you buy anything online that you are not familiar with.

Does this negate the seller's/designer's/company's obligation? I don't think so. Ultimately if enough people complain, it will have a profound effect on their sales.

Personally I think squeezing 90 watts/ch out of the 2020 is a big push...apparently the amp-20 has quite a bit of muscle and great sound to boot!
Old 1st April 2009, 02:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: audiokraut...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanook
Personally I think squeezing 90 watts/ch out of the 2020 is a big push...apparently the amp-20 has quite a bit of muscle and great sound to boot!
- It's the TA2022 chipset, which is definitely in 100W territory
Old 1st April 2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by morglo
One could easily believe that someone is not actually from the country the flag represents.

Hmmm.... 89.248.xxx.xxx would be in Amsterdam, right?
Old 1st April 2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Het Pano, how are you doing?

hadn't seen you about...hope all ios well.

stew
Old 1st April 2009, 11:33 PM   #9
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
The datasheet says 150uV output noise for the application circuit given, so there is probably something wrong with HLLY implementation.

I think that the problem is that people with enough knowledge to find a fix for the problem is not very likely to buy this amplifier to start with.

I would try to find a fix if someone is willing to donate a module to me and there are enough unsatisfied customers not receiving any reply from the seller and demanding a solution to justify the time expent in finding it.
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:23 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
I would try to find a fix if someone is willing to donate a module to me and there are enough unsatisfied customers not receiving any reply from the seller and demanding a solution to justify the time expent in finding it.
thumbs up

Hide this!Advertise here!