HLLY amps are a ripoff. BEWARE!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doorstops

In a effort to get some use from these amps, I wrote the eBay seller fm_transmitter and offered to purchase the new, revised boards.

I think he wants to hold me hostage. He apparently wants me to give him the money back he refunded for the amps, then I in turn not only have to pay for the boards, but have to take my time to replace them, and just hope they work properly, and keep working properly and don't fail in a month or two or three.

You'd think they'd send the boards free since it was their screwup in the first place and deliberately sold me not one, but two defective amps.

They make nice doorstops, but that's about all HLLY amps are good for.

Mark

Evan...

possibly coupling caps ?

but I never unplug or shut anything off. With highly efficient amps, the needs is a lot less, although you will use up "vampire" power in the toroid lost as heat. But thermal stability is worth having as well. Obviously less of an issue with smaller amps and SMPSs...

Mark, why not just send the seller the amps, and the refund and ask for either new amps, or he can fix yours and return them to you? I think the seller's issue is that if he refunded you the money for those amps, that is the end of it. If you want to keep the amps and "play with them", why not buy two of the revised amps, complete?

stew

They are crooks

Hey Stew,

Well, I'd be happy to buy new ones IF they are in fact revised. The bottom line for me is this seller knew these were junk when he sold them, I had to go through a lot to get a refund (like days and day of NOT knowing if you are getting one).

No one should support these crooks and that is my whole point for this post.

If I hadn't paid for them via PayPal, which offers protections. ... I would have been out my money for two amps. $400 or so US.

Mark

Hlly Hissing Amp Refund Trials & Tribulations

Well, this is my second post, and again it is about Hlly. I ordered one before I read this thread, and discovered the hissing problem before it arrived. I hoped and hoped mine wouldn't have it. But it did.

Then started the L O N G process of getting my money back. He ignored my emails, I had to threaten him with Paypal getting involved, etc. He insisted I sent the item back (fair enough, but from UK to far east = very expensive). He also said he would reimburse for shipping costs.

This is where it gets sticky. Paypal & eBay aren't obliged to get my postage money back, even if the seller promises to refund the postage. I gave Paypa my eBay password so they can see for themselves the 3 emails promising postage refunds, but still they can do nothing.

I am glad I got my item refund back, but it still stings for the seller to go back on his written promise, of which he gave 3.

Therefore I write this so others can learn from my mistake. No matter what the seller says, or writes, he can keep your hard earned postage money. So be wary of buying from the east.

On a personal note, the tone in the emails is very courtous. Lots of "I'm so sorry" etc. His actions do NOT match his tone.

And an example of his promises...

Attachments

• email1.jpg
    email1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 547
Just to keep everyone updated...

The money ns_fm_transmitter owes me is really bugging me. The bare faced lies, when I have evidence of his assurances to refund my postage, is a bitter pill to swallow.

So I thought to myself, this guy still has my money (£95.00), and although ebay/paypal can't get postage money back, it doesn't negate the fact that because he has MY money, I am in CREDIT!

So I bought another amp, of slightly less value than the refund!

He isn't sending this either, so the battle continues.

:)

Last Update

And how did it end? Satisfactory, sort of.

EBay refunded ALL my money! But they did it directly, with their own money. So as far as I am involved, everything has ended well.

But the seller didn't pay anything, and continues to trade, and eBay even removed my negative feedback for him.

From what I can make out, because eBay/paypal cannot get postage money refunded, they're stumped. However, due to my 'buying' another amplifier of the same value as the postage (which was promised to be refunded to me in 3 separate emails by the seller), and I explained that because the seller kept this money it actually meant I was in 'credit' and therefore didn't owe anything, the seller was in fact at fault for not supplying me with these goods. They had to resolve the issue somehow. This is the unsatisfactory bit - the seller wasn't penalised, at all.

My advice? If this (or another) seller promises to refund return postage, but doesn't, you 'could' buy something from the seller of the same value, claim you're in credit, and go from there. But it's a risk. There is no clear policy.

This really is an area eBay should tighten up. If seller promises refund of postage, in an email, this should be binding.

I purchased their TS-01S a few months back. It had problems with the screen, and the menu options. I returned it to them, after they promised to send another. It did take a comment on ebay to them to get their attention....but the new one is here ... and it is working correctly.
..Darrell

I bought cases from HLLY. They arrived, they were to the description and they were well packaged.
I had no problem.

Another Vendor sent a substitute item that was different description.
I complained to the Vendor, I complained to Ebay, I complained to PayPal and I copied that complaint to my Credit Card issuer.
After repeated demands from the Vendor to send back the wrong goods at my cost before they would replace them or refund for them. The Vendor eventually refunded the part cost of the wrong item. The remainder of the order was correctly supplied.

Use the purchasing power that your Credit Card issuer has and send legitimate complaints to the people that can hurt the Vendors business if they misbehave. Don't try to do on your own. The crooks will simply ignore you, the lone voice.

The cheeky Vendor even sent me 5 requests/pleadings to change my Ebay feedback ! That did seem very important to them.

Last edited:
I bought a DMK-IV Preamp/DAC from HLLY a while back. The unit arrived as described and I was very happy with the performance and sonics. After about 3 months of use the OPTICAL digital input first became intermittent (sometimes would show "NO DIGITAL IN" message which could be fixed with power reset) then stopped working altogether. I opened the unit up and found that the digital output 1K resistor and the V+ inductor for the TORX178B optical interface had been interchanged during assembly. I swapped them back to their correct locations and the problem was resolved.

I e-mailed HLLY and described the issue in detail on the thought that if they loaded one board incorrectly there were likely other units with the same problem out there. Never got any response whatsoever...:confused:

Chinese sellers have been dealing with resellers for a long time now an seem to think that the customer is obligate to share with em the responsability on the shipment and products quality.
Like you doing fixes on the products and poiting out the problem because they lack the very basics of Quality Control and there is not even an apologize .

They like to argue and argue and argue without any points and argue a little more. I guess that's a cultural thing but I must say that I really hate to deal with that.

Of course there are good sellers that will change everything one would think about doing e-commerce with China but those are clearly the minority.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.