Which Tri Path Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2009, 12:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which Tri Path Amp

hi can any body tell me if a tri path amp would sound better than say a nad 3020 and how much i would have to spend to get good detail a nice sound stage and good base i was thinking something ready bult that just needed a case and power supply im not that good with electronics but can use a soldering iron allso best place to buy one i have seen some but thay are only rated at 10 watt into 8 oms is this enoughf thanks for any help steve
Old 28th March 2009, 02:39 AM   #2
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need more Info

The Tripath amps provide clean, detailed sound with broad and deep soundstages. I went from a 100 WPC solid state power amp to a modified 10 watt Tripath. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound. I found even with this low wattage I was able to recreate a life like sound imagery in my listening room. My speakers were designed to be pushed by SET amps. With the quality of the sound I found I was able to lower the volume on the 10-watt Tripath (much to my spouses's satisfaction).

The assembled 10-watt Tripaths amps are so moderately priced; you could buy one and listen to determine whether 10-watts meets your listening requirements. In the case you are not satisfied with the sound of the low power amp you may opt for a Tripath amp with more power. However, you may modify the 10- watt to get more umph from the amp without ,more watts.

There is a broad array of Tripath amps available. The size of your listening environment, efficiency of your speakers, and musical taste will determine whether 10 or more watts are required. Only you can tell what you want to hear. What one hears from a system is just too subjective to get a recommendation sound unheard.

I hope this helps!
Old 28th March 2009, 02:41 AM   #3
bigdh31 is offline bigdh31  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out 41hz.com. I built their amp6 and I listen to it more than any amp I own.
Old 28th March 2009, 02:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I just got a virtue one(45wx2) a couple of weeks ago, (still not broken in according to virtue's 100 hrs.) and I'm very impressed. I've demoed it on some earl geddes nathan 10, and my FE207E's. It's currently sitting awaiting a pair of brines FB-20 to drive. Here's a fairly in depth review http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/va_audiophile_one_e.html
The only T-amp I might consider other than the virtue is the Winsom Labs mouse.http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/winsome/mouse_2.html
Old 28th March 2009, 03:06 AM   #5
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

HI,

Read reviews by Neomatth on TA2022, Ta2020 and Ta2024,
you find 1st one, TA2022 here:

The HLLY TAMP-90 : TA2022 tryout

you can find the other 2 on a separate thread do a search.

If you do not need lots of power TA2020 is as good as it gets from a Tripath design. This is a conclusion made those who own Tripath amp.
Old 28th March 2009, 03:25 AM   #6
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another Virtue amp owner here. Not quite as detailed as my SET, but damn close!
FWIW, in it's stock config. it's about 30 WPC, so it's considerably more powerful than most Tripath based amps. Might be worth a look if your speakers are not high sens.
Good Luck
Don
Old 28th March 2009, 05:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Me too, Virtue Two. I really like it.
Old 28th March 2009, 12:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

hi thanks for replys just to let you know i will be using it with mission m70i speakers and marantz cd 67 which i intend to go component upgrades i only listen to rock music but the missions are fairly easy to drive so shoudnt have any probs there i will look at the links i cant wait to try one if they sound that good and all from a little board like that as any body tried the ones on ebay
Old 29th March 2009, 12:29 AM   #9
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wise Council

In the posts above you were advised to read reviews. I concur.

I, primarily, use a 41HZ AMP6 2020 based amp. Although, the 10-watt versions work for me, as well.

I have a couple of boards from eBay. Most of the eBay boards require you to have a power supply. There are many threads on this forum with step by step procedures for modifying the various eBay offerings.

With the exception of the original SI-Portable T-amp you will find that any of the T-amps will do. I would caution you to be wary of basing your decision purely on watts per channel. All of the T-amps beyond the fore-mentioned, SI T-Amp will provide detailed music.

In the end you will have to take the leap and then let your ears determine whether you made the right decision.
Old 29th March 2009, 12:43 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

hi yes i have had a look on ebay today and i have seen one on there for about 14.00 do you think it would make a good base to start with the item number is 320354062704 if any one can have a look sory i dont know how to paste a link

Hide this!Advertise here!