Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2009, 03:06 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Ive made 4 Tamps from 41Hz.
The more efficient the speaker the better the sound full stop.
I have made little powered speakers using 3" HIVIs but you have to sit in front of them (that is what they are for, desks).
But connect the amp to my big floor standing Peerless based MTMs and WOW!
Old 29th March 2009, 03:27 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

i am using mission m70i at moment rated at 89db would you say these are sensative enough
Old 29th March 2009, 03:41 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Yep....

Blair
Old 29th March 2009, 03:51 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

great all i have to do now is deside which one are they all upgradable
Old 29th March 2009, 08:19 PM   #25
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Upgrades

There is something that may be done to all of the commercial offerings. It is just a matter of you picking your poison!

I have built a number of 41HZ AMP6 Amplifiers, and the only modification I have chosen for this specific amp are input caps.

The original Portable SI T-Amp, IMO, really requires modifications to rise to HIFi standards. It sounds fine overall, but the bass/presence is lacking until some mods are made.

Arjen Helder offers some assembled T-Amp boards and with them he has modification instructions available. He may be reached at hotmail. Spell his name with no space at hotmail. Arjen is most resourceful and will answer your questions before and after purchase.

Obad Imports also sells T-AMP units that have modification kits available designed by Michael Mardis. Take a look at Obadimports.com. The Obad offerings are little more expensive, but they are finished units. They have chassis, power supply, instructions, and all the parts needed for the modifications. This is the place for one stop T-Amp shopping and mods.
Old 29th March 2009, 09:42 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

h thanks info i just cant make my mind up i am on a short budget but i have got to get something as my nad amp im using at the moment is playing up i have put another amp of mine on ebay a technics pre and power amp and im going to use money from that to fund this project
Old 30th March 2009, 01:58 AM   #27
dweekie is offline dweekie  United States
diyAudio Member

I think DaveT meant www.audiogaus.com for the mods designed by Michael Mardis instead of obadimports, although they are a fairly reputable dealer as well.

I think if you want a complete product, I really like the Virtue One. If you want to build your own, anything from 41hz is good. I've played with a bunch of these small class d amps, and those stick out more than any other (Charlize, Trends, Nuforce Icon, Sure Electronics, Gizmo were some some of the other low power amps).
Old 30th March 2009, 02:22 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the correction

I was in deed errant in my post. The Mardis modifications are at AudioMagus.

Obad has a selection of completed T-Amps.
Old 30th March 2009, 10:31 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

i would like to buil my own but dont know if i am clever enougf so thought i might try one that just needs a power suply conecting and puting in a box
Old 30th March 2009, 12:56 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Bare Bones

If you plan to go for a basic kit go with 41HZ, I would strongly recommend the AMP6-Basic. Otherwise get one of the eBay units and a power supply (you will need 12 volts at 3 amperes).

In addition to the basic T-Amp and PS you will also need input jacks (RCA or other); speaker connectors; possibly a power switch and or muting switch; means to connect the amp to the PS; and the chassis/box itself. Although, this isn't a lot in cost, but the devil is in the details.

Then there is the labor (and for most DIYers it is the love of doing). You must have the proper drills and or punches to mount the above to the chassis. I would suggest for a quick, easily machined chassis use a plastic/vinyl pencil box.

Hide this!Advertise here!