IRS2092 on breadboard - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2009, 11:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default IRS2092 on breadboard

Wondering if anyone has built a Class D amplifier based on the IRS2092 using the reference designs from International Rectifier on breadboard? how tricky is it to achieve proper grounding conditions using the breadboard?
Old 25th March 2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
My first attempt at full range audio class D was on breadboard with IR2010 and LM311. I used +/-24V rails and IRF520. It worked without much trouble, so it's achievable, but you have to keep the power layout very tight.

Consider placing the MOSFET right in front of the driver and the supply capacitors very close on one side. Output inductor may be at a longer distance, but output capacitor shouldn't.

Use star grounding to the center of the supply capacitors and cut wire bridges of minimum length for power nodes. Use a breadboard in good condition, false contacts can kill the MOSFET and the driver instantaneously. The modulator may be far from the power stuff.

Remember ferrite beads on supply rails before they exit the breadboard, etc... It's achievable if you place everything properly. It will be much easier if you have experience laying out SMPS PCBs.
Old 26th March 2009, 09:06 AM   #3
ja2dhc is offline ja2dhc  Japan
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ja2dhc Send a message via MSN to ja2dhc Send a message via Yahoo to ja2dhc
Default Re: IRS2092 on breadboard

The below URL is Mr.Kamijo's Web where he published
an RS2092 based D Class Amplifier whose raw PCB is
a threw-in with a Japanese Magazine named Transistor Gijyutsu.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/evo/amp/DQamp/D9amp.htm

Many people used this PCB succsseffly. You can see from the
photo, MOSFET's and inductor for LPF are allocated near by
IRS2092 as well as two 2.200uF capacitors which are by-pass
for +/- rails in addition to the bulk capacitors near the transformer.
Old 26th March 2009, 02:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I am building an amp on breadboard (first) based on the IRS2092 and using IRFB4019PbF MOSFET's. The first circuit i built was using regulators to supply VAA and VSS. decided to omit the regulators and stick strictly with the typical application circuit shown the in the Application Note AN-1138. I am getting a PWM signal from the LO of the IRS2092, but nothing on HO.
Old 26th March 2009, 08:45 PM   #5
ssanmor is offline ssanmor  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi, Rob. I am sure that you already know this, if so, sorry: have in mind that in order to measure the HO output you need an oscilloscope with floating ground, with its ground connected to the VS node of your circuit, and the tip of the probe at HO. Don't expect a very clean waveform this way, but at least it will tell you roughly if you have something there.

Having said that, if you are getting output on LO (a square wave of around 12-15Vpp, referred to -Vbus), but nothing on HO, then you probably have no valid bootstrap voltage.

Check the VB voltage. As a first attempt, you can use a multimeter between VB and VS pins. It should be around 20V first, when the amplifier is in shutdown mode, and then go down to around Vcc volts (12 to 15V) and remain estable at this value. If this is not true, use the oscilloscope in the same way and check what's the waveform at VB referred to VS.

If you really have LO but no HO waveform, how does your VS waveform look like? I guess it seems ok, a square wave from -Vbus to Vbus, but then how is your output when you inject a sine wave? It may be almost ok at very low output but then starting to get severely distorted as you increase amplitude. Is this what you observe?

Tell us how these tests go in order to continue helping you.
Old 26th March 2009, 09:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I would never connect anything to VB or VS, except the tip of an oscilloscope probe, when an amplifier is working...
Old 26th March 2009, 10:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have the strange and tiring sensation that this will trigger and endless discussion and will hijack the purpose if this thread, to help Rob. But, anyway, I have to say that I have got very clean and useful readings of upper mosfet Vgs and bootstrap voltage quality measuring this way, of course this has to be done carefully and isolating the oscilloscope in a controlled lab environment, and ideally using a HF probe, if available.
That's why I have shared my experience, I think that it will help Rob determine the real cause of his problem.
Old 27th March 2009, 04:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I don't like that kind of discussions.

What I mean is that VB and VS nodes obviously experience very high dV/dt transients. Any long wire connected to these nodes can radiate enough to disturb a modulator built on breadboard or any equpment around. Also, the load added when connecting something to these nodes can boost ringing and disturb the power stage.

A multimeter is a good antenna too.

What I have done sometimes is to use two oscilloscope probes and connect the tip of one to VS and the tip of the other to VB or to the gate signal. My oscilloscope can show the voltage difference between both channels, thus acting as a poor man's differential probe.

For example, my current project (200V 42A full bridge) is free of ringing, everything is carefully damped, and crossover time is 35ns, it's not that fast. But when I connect one oscilloscope probe to the switching node, I can see some ~90Mhz ringing appear on the gate signal monitored with the other probe. Even the apparently harmless load of the probe is already causing slight disturbance on the circuit, or the oscilloscope, or both!

In other words, be very careful when connecting things to switching nodes. Ground measuring equipment only to "quiet" nodes.
Old 27th March 2009, 07:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, as I said, you may get somewhat distorted or false readings when measuring this way, but may experience is that you can get good waveforms even when the leads can form some antenna and of course produce lots of radiating EMI in the lab. But depending on what you need to measure, it may be more than ok.

The differential measuring technique works well with analog scopes, but not so well with digital ones, specially when the waveforms you need to capture are much larger than their difference, then the resolution of the scope (usually 8 bits) limits what you get and perhaps you are only 3 or 4 bits left for the measure you are interested in, and that's very little.

In this case, where the rails are not high (25V) and the HO or VB voltages are in the same order of magnitude, it may work well, anyway.

What we agree, Rob, is that you need to measure Vb-Vs and HO-Vs to see what's happening. Please tell us what you get.
Old 29th March 2009, 04:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Any news, Rob?

Hide this!Advertise here!