IRS2092 on breadboard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you disconnect the mosfets you won't have a square wave at the output that is fed back to the input and produces the oscillation, so it won't work at all, to put it simple.
Perhaps you can inject a clock signal (see IRAUDAMP5 / 7 designs for details on how to do that), in order to force it to oscillate at its frequency.

Ok.
Don't really want to discourage you, in fact we are here to help you, but I sincerely think that you should read the datasheet of the chip first and get the necessary equipment.
You should get around 12Vpp square waves (50% duty cycle with no input) at LO-COM, and the same at HO-VS (although this one is more difficult to measure, as discussed previously here). For that, you need that Vcc-COM is correct (12V approx, and for your measurements it doesn't seem correct), and that Vb-Vs=12V as well (correct bootstrap voltage).

First, determine if you have 12V between Vcc and COM (pins 12 and 10).

Ok, it is possible that with such low rails voltage the bootstrap capacitor is not precharging properly, try with a lower value and post on the results. However, it cannot be too low or it will contribute to discharge the capacitor during normal operation, limiting your max duty cycle and producing problems during clipping, for example.

Haven't you looked carefully at the datasheet? Worst case high side quiescent current is 1mA. The resistor should provide that current even with your low supply rails, and at least until Vbs has charged to approx 10V.

A current return path has to be provided too, the speaker usually does the job but a resistor to the lower rail will help to allow the amp to start with no load. Such low supply rails are a difficult situation. A series diode may help to prevent discharge as mentioned.

I have looked at the datasheet, i have the datasheet and some of the application notes regarding the IRS2092. i have been working off the application circuit that i uploaded a picture of previously. I took a look over the current protection descriptions in the application note AN-1138 and there is something that is confusing me. On page 10 of the application note AN-1138, Figure 13 is a diagram of the Bi-directional over current protection. why on that diagram is the resistor (Rcharge) omitted ? Rcharge that should be from VB (cathode side of Dbs) to the positive supply rail.

I connected a load to the amplifier today. I used a rheostat to simulate a speaker (8ohm load). the MOSFET on HO started to heat up very quickly, so i tuned it off.

Since this resistor is not related to current limiting, they may have just forgotten to include it.

If this is your first attempt with International Rectifier's integrated hi and lo side MOSFET drivers, you have made a bad choice. You should have started with a simpler IC like IR2010 or IR2110, so that level shifting and the rest of the stuff is outside the IC and you can gain control (and understanding) over it. The bad thing about self oscillating amplifiers is that they appear dead if anything is wrong.

The project in which I'm currently working is a big self-oscillating amplifier (>3KW). It uses IR2110. There is a PIC that can gain control over the modulator and drive the output stage. I used it at first as a square wave generator for testing the power stage. Now it works fine but this test mode is still in the code ;)

If you don't understand the basics first, you won't be able to make IRS2092 work. For example, you say that the high side MOSFET got hot but it would seem that you are expecting us to figure out why for you. We can't (unless we have the prototype, a scope and a multimeter in front of us, like you may probably have). You should measure and interpret the data to find out (every voltage and current is telling you something).

This is not like class AB (where you should gain experience first too if you don't have any). Bear in mind that in switching amplifiers there are things happening up to 100Mhz and all the layout and component parasitics (resonances) will be excited. Learning to handle parasitics is a subject on itself.

Current limiting by Rds-on sensing (as done in IRS2092) is something that you should ignore too if this is your first attempt. This protection is very prone to false tripping if layout and switching is not optimum. It's based on parasitic voltage drops, and you may have plenty in a breadboard...

Do you have any experience in switching? Making an unregulated SMPS with IR integrated drivers may help to understand things too, since you wouldn't have to worry about the modulator, you would just have a fixed "signal generator" feeding the driver IC.

Yeah your right i should have started with a simpler IC, the IRS2092 was the first one i came across and i thought it was neat for all the features that included. however yes these features are proving to be troublesome. there is alot of conditions that need to be met in order for it to work properly, and i know building it on a breadboard is not ideal. I do want to design a PCB for this,but it would be nice if i could have it working on the breadboard first. With the PCB design there is alot to consider regarding grounding planes and such. i don't want to give up yet with this.

The project in which I'm currently working is a big self-oscillating amplifier (>3KW). It uses IR2110. There is a PIC that can gain control over the modulator and drive the output stage. I used it at first as a square wave generator for testing the power stage. Now it works fine but this test mode is still in the code ;)

Hello Eva,

Care to share the name of that PIC?
Because I have heard of people trying to use Atmega 16 chips.
But PIC?
Is it dsPIC series or just a fast PIC with PWM outputs?

Regards,

Savu Silviu

Wondering if anyone has built a Class D amplifier based on the IRS2092 using the reference designs from International Rectifier on breadboard? how tricky is it to achieve proper grounding conditions using the breadboard?

I used the datasheet circuit and found it didnt work for me.

After a lot of work I eventually found the 10uf on VCC was too small and replaced it with 47uf and got it working.

On my next design I upped the supply to +/-45 volts and the 2092 oscillated on top of the audio. Again the same capacitor was at fault and i upped it to 100uf.

The 2092 is fussy about decoupling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.