Getting the best out of Hypex UCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have read a few posts about the hypex UCD series of amps.
A lot of people talk of the need to "properly implement" the modules and bypass the input buffer.
I am looking to use a few of the UCD180's in a computer controlled crossover/active speaker system.
I am not well versed in electrical engineering, but i was wondering if anyone could explain just how you would go about properly implementing the UCD modules beyond simply hooking them up between a power supply and a driver?
Thanks,

Thanks greatly for your advice Koifarm. I think i will try that approach.
Do you happen to know of any websites that detail for a layman how to bypass the opamp stage on the UCD?

Just put in an order for 2 of the redrocks SMPS's. they look like an ideal solution.

Greetings Koifarm,

"The HG version has other output/buffer capacitors the difference was for me not noticeble."

You show optimal implementation through the simple tube.

Your highest preference, assumes sonically, is the cheapest, earlier ST version, only without a

proper input stage for it but simple tube.

If you can't also hear the difference between the different quality modules, is that as true

before as it is after such optimizing with simple tube? Most others seem to have ease hearing

difference already, but not just from the parts you remove, also those that remain. Is your

optimization so good they can't be heard right anymore?

Is it so superior to proper High Grade module that the flavour of the components themselves is

erased? Do you think erasure or, overpowered is more likely, and if overpowered, what by?

Maybe Hypex just take people for funny with High Grade and it no better? That would be bad.

Your wiring, so neat and appealing to the eye, is this also what good signal integrity? Have you

looked for signal integrity for optimize or just simple tube?

I feeling GLT advice here closer to absolute and simpler too. Most of what people recommend

is the improved I see is HG module, where input coupling caps are bypassed, and input stage

intact. Others seem to have big improvement with basics in signal integrity. But maybe hearing

the components is less good than noises held in high regard?

When we hear things others don't, or don't hear things others do, it's often not because our

ears are different. Maybe I like tube too, but I really like LM4562, this is good sound I build for

friends. I hope you hear too.

Dear Thedawg,

First -there is a sonic difference between the ST and HG version. But after bypassing the opamp buffer the difference is too small to notice. So when you want to bypass the opamp buffer you just can buy the ST version.

Second -i do not tell which is better because i think in terms of difference. In a other thread i described why i used tube buffer stages whit the UCD modules.

Third -a lot of statements i make are results of ABX testing with a lot of people here in the Netherlands and Germany. We do that almost weekly whit a great variety of audio equipment.

I think also " less is more", the less parts in the analoge path the better. Therefore i have after the CD DAC IC just 1 I/V resistor, 1 tube, 1 output capacitor, straight to UCD without opampbuffer or to my 813 tube amp.

I like that you find your way to the sound you like. This is very important to know what you like and not let tell others what is good.

I like to get shivers from the hights and punches from the kickbass and a warm feeling from female singers.

Hi Koifarm

If it have sound at first but none different after that strong implification that real sound overpowered, but what by?

Your second confuse. You telling of improvement that is difference, so you must prefer it or you not telling. Difference is simple thing, and simple evidence in double blind, like red flag. People all happy to see easy difference, and people like happy, people not like challenge that mean maybe they not hear so real or not understand real of test. Difference not mean better though, experience tells better less simple than difference. Better is difficult thing. Maybe that why you like cheaper module. It easier make difference better compared to different that better really was.

It not hard to see people follow strange notion for strange reason for simple difference this happen many time. It not likely real you have countries with experience listeners but maybe few people that not talk here to see simple difference that ring bell for cheese in simple market.

Less is more is really old dress for market. You not think same for plane have no wing or roof have no house, and you not accept plane with roof or house with wing, that different not better. Maybe house with wing that also plane with roof could be to and better but must be as

system say. If to be true amp need certain thing, this why system design. DAC to amp less straight from signal seeing.

Safe signal give shiver when supposed to have shiver, not all female singer have warm voice, this not normal for natural sound but maybe just simple difference. Sound so tricky thing when start to think how should be. We want fast pie super size not cabbage and broccoli that take discipline but are bigger play in rich life and no different what country.

Glt, for balanced audiopath i still do not need the opamp. I only need a balanced in/output signal between 4.5 and 9 Vrms max.

I do that with my shanling cd player with i modified with a balanced/symmetrical tube output of 9Vrms. Futher has the shanling a perfect/digital volume control so i do not need a preamp with balanced volume control.

Before i had the modified Shanling CD player i used a Behringer DCX2496( 8Vrms max.) to drive the opampless UCD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.