ICE input sensitivity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have to much gain in my system, so my preamps volume control is only used i the area from 8 to 9 o'clock. In the manual (Parasound) it is stated that best performance are percived if the volume are around 12 o'clock in normal listening mode.

I would also like better "resolution" when using remote, so the volume is less sensitive...

I was considering lowering the gain in the preamp, but then an alternative came up:

My poweramp is an ICEpower DIY based on ICEpower 200ASC modules. The input seems to be an opamp in virtuel ground mode. Input resistance is 10kOhm in unbalanced mode.

If I put a resistor in series with the input (direct on input jack) I would increase input resistance and lower sensivity? If i ex. uses i 10k in series would I not lower gain by 6db?

Is there any problems with this solution? Other than the fact that my preamp must deliver a higher voltagesving?

:confused:

Just tried with both 10k and 22k and sensitivity was reduced as planned....but.....so was the sound quality!

Bas was reduced downwards, now sounding funny and image and dynamics was gone for good...:hot:

Back to normal, everything was nice again (exept level :clown: ).....

Don't waste your energy on this little trix :whazzat:

Because of the relative low input impedance of amp you need low output impedance driver. You can use pre-amp with low output impedance or imo best solution TVC (transformer volume control). .

I faced the same issue with L15D Pro modules which have 3.3kOhm input impedance. Also tried resistance devider in front, which reduces gain but also affects audio quality. So a potmeter (passive Pre) will not work (high output impedance compared to the low input impedance of amp).

I tried several active pre-amps designs (tubes, Fets for very low output impedance) but was not satisfied. Then I decided to use step-down transformers because they will lower the output impedance by square times voltage division (I.e. voltage divided by 2 means impedance lowered 4 times). I ordered Sowter attenuators type 9150 which gives steps of -10 dB. Well, this works! Great sound not affected by attenuation as with potmeter.

In my case I use Logitech streaming device with provides volume control, so with the Sowter I can adjust the volume in rough -10 dB steps and fine volume control with Logitech. In case you want complete volume control you can consider TVC's (transformer volume control) which are unfortenately very expensive (>€500 mfr Tribute NL), but it's a great passive pre-amplifier and the best option i experienced over all these years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.