how good is a tripath ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello everybody,

i have a tripath amp for 3 years. it's a t2020. i was looking around for getting a high end system.

my search started out with a single end but i ended up with an OTL amp (and a full range phy-hp).

in those readings i read a lot of post where they say that the tripath amp put there tubes in the shades, only an OTL design could win it from a tripath.

So now my question: how good is a tripath really, now the most people have heard one, (also alot of tweaks are know: the psu and other optimalisations...), and the hype is a bit gone for the tripath.

thank you

i know the t2020 is only 10 watt, but that's all i need, even less. at this moment i'm playing on a fe167e mltl and my next speakes will be more efficient. (probably full range open baffle)

Hi there yes tripath especially the ta2020 is that good, best sounding class d amp Ive ever herd in short warm, organic, laid back, detailed although tripath is no more it would seem there is no shortage of the chips especially the popular ones ta2020, ta2024, etc mabee cirrus logic is keeping them in production in china or something because there are a lot of ready made amps on the market using these chips as well as diy kits am currently using Charlize 2 no input caps feedback resistors soldered directly to the pins on the ta2020 i read about that mod from somebody on this forum, and on my system and i like the sound better than my pushpull class a preamp naim nap 150 much more expensive, you would never have seen such a price to performance level just a few years ago.

Every hype is in the beginning otherwise it wouldn´t be a one.

Tripath became legend with it´s short life - so the king is dead ... long live the king.

If you own high sensitive and impedance speakers - the Tripath´s should be the first choice for every audiophiles who dont own a money crapping donkey.

thanks guys,

i still have to do the input cap mod, it makes a big difference i have heard, so i'm gonna do it.

well, i'm happy to hear that it is that good. and since i don't have a money crapping donkey, i'm happy with it.
i have a sensiteve (94db speaker) and impedance: a fullrange fe167e.

but what i would like to know is how it holds itself to a decent diy tube amp or solid state. how much would have to be spend to leave the tripath behind.
and how much would it be behind ?

like a pp triode el84 or a SE300b at 1000 euro, are they capable of beating the tripath to death ? the tripath does a great job when it comes down to control and bass i think. to beat that, is gonna be hard.
i'm willing to put money down, but it has to make sense, otherwise i will live happy with the tripath, (and oh yes its high efficency)

greetz

thanks tabarddn for your reply,

i just put up a post for the best sub 100 dollar amp, probably it is a t amp.

well i don't use any cd player, i use usb DAC, the gamma 1 to be precise.

i have also modded the t amp. I use an smps because i'm not willing to put a battery in the house. i will think about it. but it needs to be able to play 12h non stop. i know that the input caps do a lot of harm to the sound.
i have connected a lot of sanyo oscon's straight on the pins of the t2020 so that the sounds gets much cleaner when cranking up the volume.

still, a battery psu, with a full range horn at >100db efficency will be probably the best to get super sound out of this system.

i'm gonna look a bit closer to the battery,
but i have heard that a normal lineair psu would do very nice to;

greetz

hello,

so you are only talking about the boards, the rest of the parts i should buy ?
like the T2020 itself ?

if so i'm not interested, cause it will cost more in transport costs getting all the parts togheter then just buy a full kit

may i ask you some things about your setup:
1)how big are the batteries ?
2)do you use digital crossover like a behringer
3)does the tube in front of the tripath only brings extra power or does it advance the sound ?
4)what do you mean with : straight from the signal source ?

thanks a lot

Sure 2X100 Tripath amp is amazing after mods

hello everybody,

i have a tripath amp for 3 years. it's a t2020. i was looking around for getting a high end system.

my search started out with a single end but i ended up with an OTL amp (and a full range phy-hp).

in those readings i read a lot of post where they say that the tripath amp put there tubes in the shades, only an OTL design could win it from a tripath.

So now my question: how good is a tripath really, now the most people have heard one, (also alot of tweaks are know: the psu and other optimalisations...), and the hype is a bit gone for the tripath.

thank you

i know the t2020 is only 10 watt, but that's all i need, even less. at this moment i'm playing on a fe167e mltl and my next speakes will be more efficient. (probably full range open baffle)

The Sure 2X100 amp module sounds fantastic with some mods and are very cheap to buy. My MeanWell switch mode power supplies have been a revelation as well. They sound much better than my linear supplies and cost less than just a transformer. The Tripath chips are capable of world beating sound. Class D is not just for high efficiency but also offers better sound than AB.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...ipath-board-tc2000-tp2050-60.html#post1952578

thanks guys,

i'm gonna look futher into the tripath,

i have seriously modded mine, i think there are more parts hovering above the pcb then on: like sanyo's oscon (and it really makes a difference).

but i will try the battery, and even the tube pre; sounds nice; and in the end not a real fortune, but i need better speakers first,

my source is a gamma 1, i will buy a gamma 2, i suppose that will be good enough.

thanks

thanks kristleifur,

are there any kits available ? or do you have to buy the whole thing ?
i have looked around and founded the virtue one. it seems like this chipset is leaving the others behind.
thanks so much for the tip, cause i did'nt know that.

All I know is already in the thread now, the presoldered Sure, the 41Hz kit and the Virtue amp ... maybe I'll add a digest:

- The Sure amp is a preassembled board. Pros: It's preassembled :) Also cheap. Cons: Reliability? I think It needs modification to get the best out of the chipset? (I think? Don't know, haven't tried.) Needs: Modification, power supply, casing, jacks.

- 41Hz Amp4 is an unassembled kit - you get a PCB and all components that go on the board. Pros: Cheap. Part quality is high! - higher than the stock Sure. You get all electrical components in one package. Cons: Needs building. It's also surface-mount, which some people don't like. (Myself, I think surface-mount is actually easier for the most part.) Needs: SMT soldering, power supply casing, jacks.

- Virtue Audio is a preassembled amp. They've got a pretty good design going as far as I can tell. Also they're using a higher-power chip in the output stage. Pros: Integrated, ready, well-designed. Cons: More expensive than the others. Needs: Nothing.

edit: p.s., you can of course get someone to build the Amp4 for you, if that's what you want.

Last edited:
waauw, thanks kristleifur,

that's some great information.

i don't mind soldering,
smt: well if it is a few parts i'm okee with it, but if it is 100 parts i don't like it that much.

so a kit is not necessairy, even better that is it a kit; then you can use the parts you like. if the parts of kit are high i might use them otherwise i'll buy some new.

well i looked at the virtue one, but i don't like those small cases, i wanna put in a relay input switch board, and a electronic stepped attenuator. so there goes the little case. also i might put in a tube preamp (buffer). so i'm prepared to go all the way; my t2020 does a great job, if the tp2050 does everything better, then i wonder if i ever will look for another amp. I don't need the power actually, my speakers are now 93db and my next pair will be 95 or more.

so not all the kits are using the same design, mmmhh, i'll look into that.
i dont wanna brake the bank and be able to modify a lot. (i moddified my charlize quite a bit). so at this moment i'm leaning to the 41hz kit or the sure amp (although modifying might be harder)

thanks a lot already

Hi, yes I have 4 seperate boards that I do not need. The guy in China makes up a complete amp with Transformer fitted or you can get in as we normally see it with a plug you a SMPS.
I actually have just received from him a Valve Pre from him based on the Marantz 7. So I have this to boast the input signal a little then I have two T-2020 in Bi-Amp configuration. Running off of 2 seperate 12 volt dry-cell 7 amp batteries. WOW what a step up from just running the amps straight from the signal source. It also now gives me the convenience of 6 inputs. **Audio Heaven** Anyway enough of my ranting, I can let the boards go for US$20 each.. They work of of DC or AC and you can switch polarity with no effect.
Cheers

Hi, I'm also using Arjen's TA2020 board, it's a nice board with good output inductors as standard.

How much difference did your valve preamp make? I'm tempted to order one, but I'm not really sure on what tube to get, as I know very little about tubes... What tube are you using and in what way would you say it improves the sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.