how good is a tripath ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2009, 02:45 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarddn View Post
Hi, yes I have 4 seperate boards that I do not need. The guy in China makes up a complete amp with Transformer fitted or you can get in as we normally see it with a plug you a SMPS.
I actually have just received from him a Valve Pre from him based on the Marantz 7. So I have this to boast the input signal a little then I have two T-2020 in Bi-Amp configuration. Running off of 2 seperate 12 volt dry-cell 7 amp batteries. WOW what a step up from just running the amps straight from the signal source. It also now gives me the convenience of 6 inputs. **Audio Heaven** Anyway enough of my ranting, I can let the boards go for US$20 each.. They work of of DC or AC and you can switch polarity with no effect.
Cheers
Hi, I'm also using Arjen's TA2020 board, it's a nice board with good output inductors as standard.

How much difference did your valve preamp make? I'm tempted to order one, but I'm not really sure on what tube to get, as I know very little about tubes... What tube are you using and in what way would you say it improves the sound?
Old 15th November 2009, 10:26 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi, I am using a clone of the Maranzt 7, from a crowd called Teemad Audio who like most of the resonably priced vavle gear is based in China. I bought mine of of Ebay on a buy now for 170 pounds. It arrived very quickly and is quite smart. It also has 6 in and 2 out which is ideal for B-amping as I wanted to do. The phono sockets are very high quality and the build is plain but very good. \
What do it give to the sound. Well first the T amps do nor run out of breath as they can do in passive mode. The base weight is considerably better and female voices seem to just be there for me in the room.
Hope this helps, a little later i will also try tube rolling with better matched pairs which from what I have read can also make a real improvement for little cost.
Old 16th November 2009, 04:49 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I think I'm going to try one of ArjenHelders tube-pre's just to see how I like the tube sound, before getting anything else, I've already spent too much on Tripath amps, I think I'm becoming an addict!

Hide this!Advertise here!