how good is a tripath ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2009, 03:56 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

HI, No it is the complete board with all parts ready to plug in and play.
-Batteries are 12volt DC 7amp.
-Yes but I have just won a bid on a USA dBx electronic crossover at US$40. So we will see how it sounds when it gets hear.
-Read the ^-Moons review on the Trends T-2024 amp, he used a Dared valve Pre.
-When we use a T-Amp we inactual fact only adjust the volume via a passive volumn pot, (theroretically, a close to straight from the souce, ie no olume controle at all, as you can get.
One piont my friend you must realise is that you music source is not good enough to drive a T-amp to it's full potentual. Also you should be using good quality cables as well, say $100 / metre to get the best from these amps. The T may be cheap but it should be trated as a high end amp when connecting it to the rest of your gear.
Old 9th November 2009, 11:14 AM   #12
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sure 2X100 Tripath amp is amazing after mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by then_dude View Post
hello everybody,

i have a tripath amp for 3 years. it's a t2020. i was looking around for getting a high end system.

my search started out with a single end but i ended up with an OTL amp (and a full range phy-hp).

in those readings i read a lot of post where they say that the tripath amp put there tubes in the shades, only an OTL design could win it from a tripath.

So now my question: how good is a tripath really, now the most people have heard one, (also alot of tweaks are know: the psu and other optimalisations...), and the hype is a bit gone for the tripath.

thank you

i know the t2020 is only 10 watt, but that's all i need, even less. at this moment i'm playing on a fe167e mltl and my next speakes will be more efficient. (probably full range open baffle)
The Sure 2X100 amp module sounds fantastic with some mods and are very cheap to buy. My MeanWell switch mode power supplies have been a revelation as well. They sound much better than my linear supplies and cost less than just a transformer. The Tripath chips are capable of world beating sound. Class D is not just for high efficiency but also offers better sound than AB.
Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050
Old 10th November 2009, 12:33 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

thanks guys,

i'm gonna look futher into the tripath,

i have seriously modded mine, i think there are more parts hovering above the pcb then on: like sanyo's oscon (and it really makes a difference).

but i will try the battery, and even the tube pre; sounds nice; and in the end not a real fortune, but i need better speakers first,

my source is a gamma 1, i will buy a gamma 2, i suppose that will be good enough.

thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 11:03 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Tripath TK2050 is good enough to stop your heart, good enough to have gotten two people I know to buy soldering irons after 10 minutes of listening.
Old 14th November 2009, 12:25 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

thanks kristleifur,

are there any kits available ? or do you have to buy the whole thing ?
i have looked around and founded the virtue one. it seems like this chipset is leaving the others behind.
thanks so much for the tip, cause i did'nt know that.
Old 14th November 2009, 12:37 AM   #16
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sure 2X100 is TK2050

Quote:
thanks kristleifur,

i have looked around and founded the virtue one. it seems like this chipset is leaving the others behind.
check it out here. Sounds great with some upgrades.
Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050
Old 14th November 2009, 12:59 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I think this is enough .....
I do agree with you. Those are the most effective way
Old 14th November 2009, 12:08 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

thanks guys,

i didn't know that the T2050 was so much discussed.
for that kind of money, i'm gonna grab me one.

will look for the mods.

thanks
Old 14th November 2009, 12:11 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
thanks kristleifur,

All I know is already in the thread now, the presoldered Sure, the 41Hz kit and the Virtue amp ... maybe I'll add a digest:

- The Sure amp is a preassembled board. Pros: It's preassembled Also cheap. Cons: Reliability? I think It needs modification to get the best out of the chipset? (I think? Don't know, haven't tried.) Needs: Modification, power supply, casing, jacks.

- 41Hz Amp4 is an unassembled kit - you get a PCB and all components that go on the board. Pros: Cheap. Part quality is high! - higher than the stock Sure. You get all electrical components in one package. Cons: Needs building. It's also surface-mount, which some people don't like. (Myself, I think surface-mount is actually easier for the most part.) Needs: SMT soldering, power supply casing, jacks.

- Virtue Audio is a preassembled amp. They've got a pretty good design going as far as I can tell. Also they're using a higher-power chip in the output stage. Pros: Integrated, ready, well-designed. Cons: More expensive than the others. Needs: Nothing.

edit: p.s., you can of course get someone to build the Amp4 for you, if that's what you want.

Last edited by kristleifur; 14th November 2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: prebuilt is also an idea
Old 14th November 2009, 12:55 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

waauw, thanks kristleifur,

that's some great information.

i don't mind soldering,
smt: well if it is a few parts i'm okee with it, but if it is 100 parts i don't like it that much.

so a kit is not necessairy, even better that is it a kit; then you can use the parts you like. if the parts of kit are high i might use them otherwise i'll buy some new.

well i looked at the virtue one, but i don't like those small cases, i wanna put in a relay input switch board, and a electronic stepped attenuator. so there goes the little case. also i might put in a tube preamp (buffer). so i'm prepared to go all the way; my t2020 does a great job, if the tp2050 does everything better, then i wonder if i ever will look for another amp. I don't need the power actually, my speakers are now 93db and my next pair will be 95 or more.

so not all the kits are using the same design, mmmhh, i'll look into that.
i dont wanna brake the bank and be able to modify a lot. (i moddified my charlize quite a bit). so at this moment i'm leaning to the 41hz kit or the sure amp (although modifying might be harder)

thanks a lot already

Hide this!Advertise here!