Small Class-D chip wanted. ~25W/8Ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,

I'm searching for a good sounding (HiFi-Quality) Class-D chip. The design should be easy to use and small. At least I'll need something like 25W into 8Ohms.
I know the Tripath stuff but Tripath is not there anymore.
I know the IRF stuff. Seems to be ok but needs a lot of PCB space and I cannot get the MOSFETs here as a private person.
Any idea is welcome!

Raphael

Joined 2004
Paid Member
rkn said:
Well thanks. I'll do the search. I forgot, I've already evaluated the AD1994 from ADI but it seems that this chip is not available, many distributors do not stock them and Farnell says that it is out of production.

Raphael

The AD1994 got replaced by the ADAU159X series. Similar block diagram, but they added a slicer to limit the power output and got rid of the need for the external feedback resistors (they are now internal). The chip is smaller, also--48pin vs 64pin, and it is spec'ed at a lower power rating due to the smaller package dissipation capability.

I've got a board layout for the AD1994 that I need to update to the ADAU159X, but that project is low on my list of priorities. The STA328 is a much more interesting chip, and I've got a prototype board working with that. The challenge with the STA328 is developing the software for the biquads, but I've got that part working now. The TAS5706 series is next on my list. The Cirrus 4525 is also a nice chip. You might also be interested in the Monolithic Power MP7720 series. There is a list of medium powered digital amps with tradeoffs at this location:

http://www.audiodevelopers.com/plateamps/Plate_amp_family.htm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Please help fill in this survey

This topic of medium-powered Class D amps keeps coming up. I started a spreadsheet with the chips that I am aware of, but I'm sure there are others. Please download the spreadsheet, add some chips or data on the listed chips, and then repost or mail it back to me. Maybe we can get this posted as a FAQ.

http://www.audiodevelopers.com/temp/Digital_amp_survey.xls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.