UCD 400 Mono's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jainbaby said:
I am building a pair of UCD 400 mono's. All the parts are here except for some cases.

Anyone have a pic and/or recommendation on where to get two nice compact chassis?

I would prefer aluminum cases.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Here are two places I have been looking. I am leaning toward the design build listen chassis. Let me know what you think of the ucd400's. I have been looking at those and the ucd700's.

http://par-metal.com/index.htm

http://www.designbuildlisten.com/index.htm

I recently finished a dual mono pair of UCD400's in a Par-Metal 20-16123B
(16" wide, 12" deep, 3" high- black anodized)

Looks quite nice I think. I ordered it with .25" front panel & handles. I also had them cut the hole for my power LED and the button on the front. AS well as for my IEC inlet on the rear panel.

Having them at least do the hole for the LED is great. The led shines through from the rear, and they cut the hole before anodizing, so it looks perfect.

btw, it seems there were a few other places to get chassis, but they either aren't stocking, went out of business, or were just more $$... (there are still a few on ebay)

an earlier thread on this subject when I went looking:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125333

-Chris

Attachments

• ck_ucd-amp.jpg
    ck_ucd-amp.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 899
Steve,

I am also building a pair of mono UcD400s. Eventually, I will build a third for my center channel. I have been working with an Italian company Modushop.biz to get enclosures that are 170mm wide, 80mm tall and approximately 350mm deep. They are interested in adding this to their line up. I'll let you know how it goes. I do have 4 ATI Research (now defunct) enclosures that I got from Thailand that I may also use. They are a little thin for direct mounting of the heatsink. The problem for me has been finding a case that is narrow and deep with enough height for the TR501 Tranny. I also have pretty much everything except for 2 new 400HG with HxRs (should be here anyday). I have 4 of the 400ADs but wanted to upgrade to the newer version. I'll probably build a stereo pair with the 400ADs for my rear channels and another which I will likely sell unless I go 7.1. This is my first amp build so I would like to stay in touch if you are so inclined.

Mike

P.S. That ParMetal case looks pretty decent.

I think the UCD400's (HG's) sound very good. I bought them without HxR.

My old amp was an Audio Refinement Multi-5. In comparison (by memory) the UCD's sounds little leaner in the bass, but more controlled, and a little cleaner in the mids. Overall very pleasant to listen to, and I can still crank it up to really rock. (to clarify, they are by no means lacking bass - I think the reality is the old amp was a bit "flabby" ;-)

I decided to order the HxR's and have just recently received them. I need to remove and open my amp again to install these and complete the wiring of my 12v trigger circuits. In the process, I'll try to make a few listening notes and post what I think.

I had not heard much regarding sound differences between this and the 700. I bought the 400's based mostly on two things:
- they spec a little better than the 180's (with comments to match)
- they have the power capability I was looking for.
- I doubt the 700's are "that" much better, but I have not the chance to compare...

I got a deal on some old 180's that I plan to use for my center and rear channels. (already bought some LM4562's to replace the input buffers) I had originally planned to design my own classD for the rear channels, but this was too good to pass up (and much quicker ;-)

jainbaby said:
I found a case, but it is 70mm (H). I asked for internal and they are saying 63mm (H).

The TR400 is 65mm (H). Anyone think I squeeze it in their?

Is this taking into account the wires & mounting hardware?
It looks to be fully potted, with no relief for the mounting nut. Also the specs may very well not include the wires.

I'd say it's pretty sure they will not fit.

I used Avel transformers from Partsexpress. Not sure what the "real" dimensions of the Hypex transformers are.

-Chris

Re: Re: UCD400's

mikela said:

Ceibal,

Where did you hear this? Can you post a link?

Mike

mikela,

Below is part of an email from Jan-Peter. I have read this in the forums as well.

There are no big sonic difference between the two amplifiers. although the advantage of the UcD700 is that you need an auxiliary power supply to drive the buffer op amp. This will improve the sound.

Re: Re: Re: UCD400's

Ceibal said:
...the UcD700 is that you need an auxiliary power supply to drive the buffer op amp. This will improve the sound.

It should indeed improve sound, but I don't see that *requirement* as a benefit. (to be forced to use external supply)

You can also use an external supply for the UCD400 buffers. It would be very simple to wire an external 12V to the same place on the 400's that the HxR would otherwise be mounted. (or even to supply it through the HxR's with a little more 'hacking')

It sounds pretty good without the HxR. If the HxR is as good as they say, then I can't see very much benefit from using a separate supply. (although a decent supply could be built for ~ the same cost as the HxR's)

I'm sure there is benefit, but it is likely very small and maybe not worth the extra parts required. (at least IMO)

Re: Re: Re: Re: UCD400's

eclectic2k said:

It should indeed improve sound, but I don't see that *requirement* as a benefit. (to be forced to use external supply)

You can also use an external supply for the UCD400 buffers. It would be very simple to wire an external 12V to the same place on the 400's that the HxR would otherwise be mounted. (or even to supply it through the HxR's with a little more 'hacking')

It sounds pretty good without the HxR. If the HxR is as good as they say, then I can't see very much benefit from using a separate supply. (although a decent supply could be built for ~ the same cost as the HxR's)

I'm sure there is benefit, but it is likely very small and maybe not worth the extra parts required. (at least IMO)

electic2k,

What I am after is the clean power that those amps can provide. I have been looking at the Parasound 5250 but I would like to build my own amp that can out perform it. The ucd700's are clean all the way up to 500 watts, which is right with the Parasound amp and should sound better.

UCD400 / 700

Ceibal said:

What I am after is the clean power ...<snip>... all the way up to 500 watts...

Ceratainly! If your looking for 500W then the UCD700 is the way to go. I decided that 300 was plenty for my use. (unless I buy much bigger speakers) :D

I think for those that don't need more than ~300W, the 400 is a more reasonable way to go and with a few tweaks should equal the 700 for sound qulaity. (it'll just run out of steam sooner...)

enjoy!

eclectic2k said:
...and complete the wiring of my 12v trigger circuits.

Hi Chris,

I am interested in doing this too. Can you provide details or a link? Oh and thanks for the Par Metal info. I will be getting something almost identical to yours but narrower for monoblock construction 8x4x(12 or 14). I am also looking into a black anodized circular LED switch.

Thanks,
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.