UCD 400 Mono's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2009, 11:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default UCD 400 Mono's

I am building a pair of UCD 400 mono's. All the parts are here except for some cases.

Anyone have a pic and/or recommendation on where to get two nice compact chassis?

I would prefer aluminum cases.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 7th March 2009, 03:02 AM   #2
Ceibal is offline Ceibal  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: UCD 400 Mono's

Quote:
Originally posted by jainbaby
I am building a pair of UCD 400 mono's. All the parts are here except for some cases.

Anyone have a pic and/or recommendation on where to get two nice compact chassis?

I would prefer aluminum cases.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve,

Here are two places I have been looking. I am leaning toward the design build listen chassis. Let me know what you think of the ucd400's. I have been looking at those and the ucd700's.

http://par-metal.com/index.htm

http://www.designbuildlisten.com/index.htm
Old 11th March 2009, 05:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I recently finished a dual mono pair of UCD400's in a Par-Metal 20-16123B
(16" wide, 12" deep, 3" high- black anodized)

Looks quite nice I think. I ordered it with .25" front panel & handles. I also had them cut the hole for my power LED and the button on the front. AS well as for my IEC inlet on the rear panel.

Having them at least do the hole for the LED is great. The led shines through from the rear, and they cut the hole before anodizing, so it looks perfect.

btw, it seems there were a few other places to get chassis, but they either aren't stocking, went out of business, or were just more $$... (there are still a few on ebay)

an earlier thread on this subject when I went looking:
where to buy Chassis - project enclosures

-Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ck_ucd-amp.jpg (74.8 KB, 863 views)
Old 11th March 2009, 08:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default UCD400

Chris,

Thanks, I appreciate your response and pic. Looks good.

I am either going to use Par or use one of the guys on ebay that sells the X chassis.
Old 11th March 2009, 11:53 PM   #5
mikela is offline mikela  United States
diyAudio Member

Steve,

I am also building a pair of mono UcD400s. Eventually, I will build a third for my center channel. I have been working with an Italian company Modushop.biz to get enclosures that are 170mm wide, 80mm tall and approximately 350mm deep. They are interested in adding this to their line up. I'll let you know how it goes. I do have 4 ATI Research (now defunct) enclosures that I got from Thailand that I may also use. They are a little thin for direct mounting of the heatsink. The problem for me has been finding a case that is narrow and deep with enough height for the TR501 Tranny. I also have pretty much everything except for 2 new 400HG with HxRs (should be here anyday). I have 4 of the 400ADs but wanted to upgrade to the newer version. I'll probably build a stereo pair with the 400ADs for my rear channels and another which I will likely sell unless I go 7.1. This is my first amp build so I would like to stay in touch if you are so inclined.

Mike

P.S. That ParMetal case looks pretty decent.
Old 12th March 2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Ceibal is offline Ceibal  United States
diyAudio Member

Default UCD400's

eclectic2k ,

How does your new amp sound? What can you compare it to? I have been looking at the ucd400's but the ucd700 are supposed to sound better.
Old 12th March 2009, 12:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default UCD 400

I plan to keep updating this thread or start a new one (build thread).

I have everything except the cases.
Old 12th March 2009, 12:10 AM   #8
mikela is offline mikela  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: UCD400's

Quote:
Originally posted by Ceibal
I have been looking at the ucd400's but the ucd700 are supposed to sound better.
Ceibal,

Where did you hear this? Can you post a link?

Mike
Old 12th March 2009, 12:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I found a case, but it is 70mm (H). I asked for internal and they are saying 63mm (H).

The TR400 is 65mm (H). Anyone think I squeeze it in their?
Old 12th March 2009, 12:16 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think the UCD400's (HG's) sound very good. I bought them without HxR.

My old amp was an Audio Refinement Multi-5. In comparison (by memory) the UCD's sounds little leaner in the bass, but more controlled, and a little cleaner in the mids. Overall very pleasant to listen to, and I can still crank it up to really rock. (to clarify, they are by no means lacking bass - I think the reality is the old amp was a bit "flabby" ;-)

I decided to order the HxR's and have just recently received them. I need to remove and open my amp again to install these and complete the wiring of my 12v trigger circuits. In the process, I'll try to make a few listening notes and post what I think.

I had not heard much regarding sound differences between this and the 700. I bought the 400's based mostly on two things:
- they spec a little better than the 180's (with comments to match)
- they have the power capability I was looking for.
- I doubt the 700's are "that" much better, but I have not the chance to compare...

I got a deal on some old 180's that I plan to use for my center and rear channels. (already bought some LM4562's to replace the input buffers) I had originally planned to design my own classD for the rear channels, but this was too good to pass up (and much quicker ;-)

Hide this!Advertise here!