Hum issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am aware that hum are hard to resolve over the internet but at this point I do not know what else to try.

Here is the set-up;

Stereo amp using TDA8920BTH, each in bridge mode using differential input mode. The amp is from Connexelectric.

With 1 RCA connected, either the left of right one channel one at a time I've got no hum at all. As soon as I connect the second RCA into the input and I pause the CD player there is a nice big hum.

I have changed the RCA connector on the amp, also the cable from CD output to amp input.

The amplifier chassis is made ot of 1/2 inch MDF. The unit is obviously not grounded.

I have 1 transformer (400VA) to power both amplifier. Each amplifier module has it's own power supply so I feed them each with +- 20Vac.

Why is everything OK when only 1 channel is playing (either left or right) but when the second RCA is connected I get hum..

Kinda strange, any help would be welcome.

Eric

Hi,

Thanks for the link but my amp does not have a safety ground. My source is an MP3 player (battery powered).

When I disconnect the source i.e. floating inputs (I have tried many source) the hum goes away but as soon as I connect BOTH RCA jack into any source (dc power or not) the hum comes back.

Both the amp and the source have a 2 prong power cord set (non -gronded)

I will post a schematic tomorrow

Eric

A little more info;

Each channel has a gain of 36db and each amplifier module are configure in differential mode (inversion 180 degre of the second input to get bridge)

The amp does not have any volume therefore whatever noise is sees on the input is amplified by a gain of 36db.

My speaker is 94db eff and when I move about 4 feet away I do not hear the hum anymore, could this just be amplified noise floor instead of hum.

Thanks for your opinion.

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.