how to connect t-amp to a single speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2009, 02:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default how to connect t-amp to a single speaker

I've read that the tripath chips are already bridged, and therefore cannot be bridged further. My question is, does that mean there's no way to connect a t-amp to a single speaker?

What I'd like to try is to try my TA2020 amp on a friend's speaker. The speaker had been in a system driven by a mono 2A3 tube amp that her ex-husband built himself (thus it was a mono, not stereo, system). The 2A3 amp had died for quite a while, but the speaker might still work. That's what I'd like to find out.

So, would it be OK if I just connect the speaker to both channels on the amp? I don't want to just hook up one channel to the amp, with or without dummy load on the other (because that's not a solution- it just leaves out one channel).

TIA for any advise!

Andy
Old 23rd February 2009, 04:28 PM   #2
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default I'm no expert but.......

No, can't be done with one speaker.
They are bridged outputs.
use a dummy load on one channel for testing
and get the tube amp repaired.

Andy
Old 23rd February 2009, 04:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately resuscitating the 2A3 amp isn't an option: We took it to a shop, and were told that just replacing the dried out caps and blown tubes would be near $1k, and there may be other hidden problems.

If I'm not mistaken, "bridging" is to combine the power of the two output into one speaker. That's not what I'm looking to do. I just want both channels to go to the single speaker. What would happen if I just connect the + to both channels on the amp, and likewise for -? AFAIK this is not "bridging"...
Old 23rd February 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Look at the data sheet.

you will see why you cannot connect + to + and - to -

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...A2020-020.html

Andy
Old 23rd February 2009, 05:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

$1000+ to replace a tube and some caps !!!!!!!

you should start a thread on here.
Someone will help you repair it for a lot less.

Andy
Old 23rd February 2009, 05:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

fishline , you can parallel the outputs if you like, nothing wrong with that except you might experience slightly higher dc offset but in most cases it won't be a problem.

poynton, I think you misunderstood his question. The question was if he could parallel the outputs of a TAA2020 based amplifier. And there's no problem with that. However you can't serial connect (or bridge) as they are already bridge tie loaded.
Old 23rd February 2009, 06:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The following link discusses and shows an example of TA2024 parallel implementation:

http://www.AudioAsylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=amp&m=74795

Robert_S
Old 24th February 2009, 02:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much for the info! I'll give that a try.

Re: that 2A3 amp. If my friend is willing to let me try, I'll start a thread in the tube amp forum. I'm a bit hessitant because it has sentimental value for her, and I'm a complete newbie at such things.

Hide this!Advertise here!