how to connect t-amp to a single speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read that the tripath chips are already bridged, and therefore cannot be bridged further. My question is, does that mean there's no way to connect a t-amp to a single speaker?

What I'd like to try is to try my TA2020 amp on a friend's speaker. The speaker had been in a system driven by a mono 2A3 tube amp that her ex-husband built himself (thus it was a mono, not stereo, system). The 2A3 amp had died for quite a while, but the speaker might still work. That's what I'd like to find out.

So, would it be OK if I just connect the speaker to both channels on the amp? I don't want to just hook up one channel to the amp, with or without dummy load on the other (because that's not a solution- it just leaves out one channel).

TIA for any advise!

Andy

Unfortunately resuscitating the 2A3 amp isn't an option: We took it to a shop, and were told that just replacing the dried out caps and blown tubes would be near $1k, and there may be other hidden problems.

If I'm not mistaken, "bridging" is to combine the power of the two output into one speaker. That's not what I'm looking to do. I just want both channels to go to the single speaker. What would happen if I just connect the + to both channels on the amp, and likewise for -? AFAIK this is not "bridging"...

fishline , you can parallel the outputs if you like, nothing wrong with that except you might experience slightly higher dc offset but in most cases it won't be a problem.

poynton, I think you misunderstood his question. The question was if he could parallel the outputs of a TAA2020 based amplifier. And there's no problem with that. However you can't serial connect (or bridge) as they are already bridge tie loaded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.