Best Layout Practices - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2009, 04:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best Layout Practices

I'm at a cross-road and could use some practical advise. What are the best layout practice on the output section, namely the 2 mosfet's and the inductor? I'm using TO-220 package on the mosfet and a torroid on the inductor. If the TO-220's lay down, the surface area consumed goes up. But, at the same time, the PCB may be a useful heat conduit keeping the 2 devices thermally equal. If additional heat-sink is required, then it could be added above the devices. If I stand the TO-220's up, board space goes down, then some type of heat sink is going to be required to just keep the 2 at the same temp.

The torroid can mount either horizontal or vertical. horizontal mount seems better for emissions, but worse for board space.

I think my board is going to be constrained for space, so maybe the only option is all vertical mounting. I'm just not how much worse either method is. Routing looks just slightly better with the all vertical mount, but no enough to sway me one way or the other. So, anyone have a decent idea here?

gene

Hide this!Advertise here!