TA 10.1 or Amp6 or something else?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I have used a Trends TA 10.1 in the past and I was VERY impressed with it. I was thinking of trying another tripath amp such as the Amp6 from 41hz. do any of you have any opinions on the differences between the two? or maybe you could suggest alternatives? i should add that I have heard a chip amp, maybe it was an LM3886 I cannot remember and I was impressed by that too.

I do not mind a bit of soldering etc, but i would like to try and keep the cost down if possible.

Many thanks in advance!

Steve

:)

41HZ Amp6

The AMP6 from 41HZ is a 25 watt amplifier compared to the TA-10.1 which is a 15 watt amplifier. The AMP6 has to be put together and is just a stronger amplifier right out the chute. Whereas the TA-10.1 is pre-assembled and ready to play upon delivery.

The AMP6 delivers more power and just seems to have more headroom. In my system the AMP6 just seems to create a more life-like presentation than the unmodified TA-10.1 (Ihave the parts to perform the Mardis mods to the TA-10.1, But I have yet to do so.)

If I did not have the AMP6 which to compare the TA-10.1, I would have been more than satisfied with the later. Overall, I would say it depends on the sensitivity of your speakers.

Thanks Dave. I should have mentioned that I had modded the TA10.1 I had with the Audiomagus tweka-kit 2, and it did improve things considerably. I have since found another amp on the market, the Virtue Audio One, and that looks like a lovely amp for the money, it is a shame there is no distributor in the UK that I can find.

The speakers I am using are around 95db/w so I doubt power will be an issue.

Steve

AFAIK the TA 10.1 and the Amp6 are in a similar league with a similar sound.

I'd try a Gainclone, yes, but also the other tripath chipsets. For example, the 41Hz Amp4 or Amp11 have an order of magnitude less THD+N, according to specs. Cheap too and easy to power as they're single-supply. They're medium-hard builds, not for beginners, but if you're not a solder wiz you can get someone to build them for you.

kristleifur said:
AFAIK the TA 10.1 and the Amp6 are in a similar league with a similar sound.

I'd try a Gainclone, yes, but also the other tripath chipsets. For example, the 41Hz Amp4 or Amp11 have an order of magnitude less THD+N, according to specs. Cheap too and easy to power as they're single-supply. They're medium-hard builds, not for beginners, but if you're not a solder wiz you can get someone to build them for you.

Thank you Kris (?) I hope I have your name correct.

I am thinking also about the Hypex units that are recieving very good reports as far as I can see. They look promising too.

PS. Iceland, such a beautiful country, and lots of musical talent too! I hope to visit one day.

Steve

Amp6Basic, soon to dusted off and fired up again...

you may also consider this or this .

I've been listening to the NuForce Icon, and have some experience with the Bantum. I also have a Amp6Basic,(which I haven't listened to for a while, but am blowing the dust off to see how they all compare)...the Amp6Basic is simply amazing though (from memory). I don't have a lot of listening time with the Bantum, and the NuForce is yet to finish burning in. No real comparisons can be done until the NuForce is burnt in. The NuForce appears to be a significant value, as it can be used as an amplifier, headphone amp and USB DAC.

No direct experience with the Trends, but MM stated he thought Jan's designs are good. I am reviewing the Icon and Icon Mobile , mainly based on their use as headphone amps and DACs. An interesting comparison would be the Amp6Basic+Icon Mobile vs the Icon. The total cost would be approximately equal.

jBased on initial impressions, I think the two (Icons) will sound very similar when used as a DAC only.

stew

Thanks Stew. I have seen the Bantam on ebay, and have had a lok at the Icon before. I was pit off because I do not like the RJ45 idea fo rthe speaker connection, though I suppose that would not be too had to modify. I am also looking at the Audiosector stuff as recommended to me. I will ahve a good look and a long think!

Steve

aquapiranha...

The Temple Audio Bantum has an advantage, as you can buy direct from Temple Audio (U.K, where it is made ). I am sure they have some sort of "try before you buy" or money back guarantee, or similar. It seems pretty well put together and does have a feeling of quality. My daughter's BF bought one to use with an Asus eePC and a set of DIY speakers for streaming audio from the Internet (better than the local radio stations and way better than satellite radio). I am unsure if NuForce has a U.K. outlet, but if so, sure something similar (satisfaction guarantee) exists.

I made my own RJ45 to binding post adaptor., as the NuForce one seems a little expensive for what it is. I guess I could have tried to make it more compact

I'll post a picture of the NuForce solution (it is a little more "elegant" but it's USD $99, about € 78) in the next post.

stew

Attachments

• homebrew rj45->binding posts.jpg
    homebrew rj45->binding posts.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 215
Ah, I think the NuForce adapter is a little expensive, compared to the one you have their anyway! the Icon is available over here, though I think it is at a disadvantage in terms of price against most. I have seen the Bantam on ebay here, but it looks increasingly like I will be going for an audiosector kit.

Many thanks for your help Stew.

Steve

aquapiranha... Audiosector kit...

first I need to state that I have no experience with the Audiosector/Peter Daniel amplifier kits. They are very well documented though. And if you use some premium enclosures or make your own, then perhaps a DIY Patek .

The Amp6Basic is very good and may be similarly priced , but it is a Tripath based amplifier. It is an efficient design, and not a high dampened designed, almost perfect for fullrange (single) drivers. If you need some guts, then the Audiosector/PD kit is a no brainer, if you need something that could compete with a tube amp then the Amp6Basic would be a good choice.

So take your chances (actually no risk at all) with any of the suggestions. They all have been good ones (and yes, in context thwe Trends is a great value as well). I suspect that the thing that may make or break your choice is speakers, and amplifier dampening factor and the amp/speaker interaction.

stew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.