NuForce Icon and Icon Mobile... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2009, 07:29 AM   #1
Nanook is online now Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default NuForce Icon and Icon Mobile...

just thought I'd drop a note on my initial impressions of the Icon. It only has 10 hours on it (Jason @NuForce suggests 70+).

Quite impressive, sounds more muscular than 12 watts. The treble is crystaline pure. Pace : makes ya wanna tap yer feet or dance
Rhythm: seems like it keeps things moving along. Rhythm seems to me to be the toughest to "explain" so I won't
Attack: startling at times, super quick. cymbals are energetic (in a good way)
Timing: tonally "correct" and the obvious interplay between musicians is very apparent (particularly on live recordings)

Having never listened to the original Naim Nait or Nait 2 , I can't compare, but if the Icon is as good as I think it is, it should hold its own against either.

Ok so I know this is diyAudio.com. Here's a connection: will compare to a 41Hz Amp6Basic once broken in. Obviously no DAC or headphone amp in the Amp6, but a respectable T-amp none-the- less.

er another "connection": the Icon uses network type connections for speaker cable connectors to the amp (they supply dedicated 1m lengths of wire). I built a box using 2 network cable "pigtails" that I connected to 2 pairs of 5 way binding posts. Now I can try any cable I choose...

I'll have to work on getting the Icon Mobile burnt in. A meaningful comparison then might be to use the Mobile and the Amp6 vs the Icon....
Old 14th February 2009, 10:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default I am very inquisitive ...

Hi, interesting threadstart.
I am very inquisitive ... the best sound I ever heard over PC was through the DAC of the Icon and Headphone with Koss Porta Pro.
Damn ...! What a wonderful sound - warm and strong like phono but with much details. I wouldnt wonder if these kind of class-d could beat a naim ... who the hell is naim ??
Old 15th February 2009, 03:01 AM   #3
dweekie is offline dweekie  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe I read that it is a modified TI chip. The internals are not very easy to mod as they are mostly SMD or glued down through-hole electrolytic capacitors. I'll save my sonic impressions vs a few Tripath solutions until after you have completed your own tests
Old 15th February 2009, 06:00 AM   #4
Nanook is online now Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default some thoughts...

well I write reviews for Affordable$$Audio (so I have to consider comparisons).

I can say that the little Icon sounds great. I still haven't fired up the Amp6Basic to see how they compare. There are some real bonuses with the little Icon, though.
  • a reasonable power supply is included
  • a stand for vertical "standing " is included
  • it feels the piece, nice tactile feel considering the price
  • it has three inputs, 1 mini stereo, 1 pair of RCAs, USB digital input
  • it has a headphone amp
It will be interesting to see how it fares as a desktop system (its intended application). I did make a RJ45 to 5-way binding post adapter box, so I could use whatever speaker cable I want.

I still need to fire up the Icon Mobile and allow it to start to burn in...I guess I'll run online radio through the iMac and give it a few days..

stew

Hide this!Advertise here!