TDA8920 TDA8924 By Connexelectronic, Opinions Please. - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2010, 10:59 AM   #51
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Please follow this thread Class T Audio Amplifiers where i explained the differences. mainly, i named them in the order of development, from a to d, the simplest one is v3a, then v3b which has a better layout, then v3c with speaker protection, rectifier bridge, bigger capacitors, and v3d, with BIPS on board in addition to the features of v3c.
Old 20th December 2010, 10:17 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldsen View Post
I know that most info I can get recommend post-filter (or a combination of feedback as in ICEpower and TC electronics modules), but I also know some who have tried 892X chips, and find the sound more than satisfying - especially in the bass region. Maybe they are hifi for bass purposes? Only a test will show (for me). I will compare with Panasonic SA-XR50.
Interesting info from New Class D who actually recommends pre-filter (who or believe EVA og Lars Clausen)

NewClassD NCDX

"Pre and Post filter mode
Most Class D amplifiers operate in Post filter mode, meaning the feedback signal is taken after the output filter. This gives some advantages like frequency response is not or less dependent on the load impedance, and also in theory lower THD because the distortion of the output filter is compensated by the feedback loop. Other Class D amplifiers operate in Pre filter mode, meaning the feedback signal is taken before the output filter. This has other advantages, like the stability of the loop is not affected by capacitive loads, and the amplifier sounds more open.
NCDX offers you the possibility to chose either of these modes, as the only Class D amplifier on the market. By default it runs in Pre mode, because this usually sounds best, but you can change this simply by moving the solder bubble from the Pre pad to the Post pad. These pads are located close to the output terminals of the board. "
Old 17th February 2013, 03:47 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ozracing
Hi and sorry for bumping this old thread
wanted to ask if someone could share tda8954 HSOP24 library for eagle
Old 24th February 2013, 09:32 PM   #54
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just made one for OrCad.

Close but no cigar.

Old 5th March 2013, 12:01 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldsen View Post
I know that most info I can get recommend post-filter (or a combination of feedback as in ICEpower and TC electronics modules), but I also know some who have tried 892X chips, and find the sound more than satisfying - especially in the bass region. Maybe they are hifi for bass purposes? Only a test will show (for me). I will compare with Panasonic SA-XR50.

The answwer is not so simple: "This is better than that"...
Pre-filter feedback is better for stability, because You avoid one phase shifting stage.. (Remember Nyquist diagram and criterion?).
Post-filter feedback is better if You have a non-linear element in the filter, like saturable core of the output inductance. That way, feedback is going to linearize the transfer function and compensate the non-linearity introduced by the core.

If You want the best of the both worlds, use pre-filter feedback, and air-cored inductor in the output filter. End of story...
Old 7th May 2013, 03:14 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Hm, yes, but post filter feedback may lead to instabilities with mismatched load and phase shifts and peaking with all loads... Everything is a compromise.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva View Post
These ICs use pre-filter feedback and thus they exhibit load dependent high frequency peaking, so I wouldn't consider them very "hi-fi". Otherwise, they include many interesting protections and features.
Old 17th July 2013, 03:34 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stijena1973 View Post
The answwer is not so simple: "This is better than that"...
But you do it below anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by stijena1973 View Post
If You want the best of the both worlds, use pre-filter feedback, and air-cored inductor in the output filter. End of story...
This it what is done in Lars Clausens designs. The newest versions you can choose between pre and post filter
Old 11th July 2014, 05:02 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

How do i mode switch a 8920bj using pin 23? i need to power on the module to operating mode.

thx

Hide this!Advertise here!