UcD 180 SQ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not into DIY, but I can see that a lot of people here are trying out UcD modules. I am in the process of getting a integrated amp based on 2 UcD 180 modules.

I am a bit of an audiophile and sound quality is very important. My speakers are a bit tricky to drive so tube-stuff aren't possible within my budget.

How good are these UcD modules soundwise?

All I've heard about UcD modules is that the sound quality is almost impossible to fault. This seems to be a near universal consensus.

I do know that my TA2020 amps are considered inferior sounding to the UcD modules, and my TA2020's continue to amaze me, sound quality wise. I doubt you'll go wrong -- rather, I predict you will be pleasantly surprised.

Its often a matter of taste, but I'd take the Hypex amps over any tube amp I've heard to date. I made up a set powered by the SMPS180 supplies and don't notice anything added or missing. They are very smooth and effortless and seem able to drive just about any load there is. They don't glow orange, though...

jakja83 said:
Sounds really good, I am a bit sceptical to Class D as I have used A or A/B earlier on, but I will give it a try to see if the sound is as metallic as some claim it to be.

I have absolutely not heard any metallicism out of my amps ... Class D isn't quite the same as Class D sometimes. I don't know, but I would guess that the reports of metallic sound are from more primitive Class D designs. AFAIK there's a lot of things that need to be done right in the designfor Class D to sound really good.

Hpex vs Tubes

I have tried the Hypes modules, and whilst they are about the best class D amplifiers around they cannot compare to my McIntosh MI350s. These are mono 350w tube amplifiers which I believe are the best tube amplifiers ever made.

I have compared the UCD 180 and UCD400 and they just do not compare to the big McIntosh amplifiers

Re: Hpex vs Tubes

MOER said:
I have tried the Hypes modules, and whilst they are about the best class D amplifiers around they cannot compare to my McIntosh MI350s. These are mono 350w tube amplifiers which I believe are the best tube amplifiers ever made.

I have compared the UCD 180 and UCD400 and they just do not compare to the big McIntosh amplifiers

Which version UcD module did you use for compairing?

I don't think you used the UcDxxxHG series......

Jan-Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Re: Re: Hpex vs Tubes

MOER said:

Stephen Mantz
Zed Audio Corp.

Hi Stephen,

Whilst it's a red herring I can't help but wonder if the vintage tube amps that you've a speciality in refurbishing weren't the benefactor of a higher degree of refinement than perhaps an eagerness to reverse engineer the Hypet modules allowed for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.