isolated or non-isolated psu for UcD in a car? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2009, 08:04 PM   #1
zilog is offline zilog  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default isolated or non-isolated psu for UcD in a car?

I am playing with building an SMPS to power a couple of UcD amplifiers in my car. The input stage of the amplifiers is depicted here: frontend.

I would like to have the SMPS non-isolated with the car earth connected to the output center-tapped ground. The reason for this si that I want to play with adaptive control loop design as opposed to the fixed nature of the loop you get with opto couplers. This will of course feed lots of common mode-noise and harmonics into the frontend of the amplifiers. My question is if this will make any noticeable difference on the sound.

The frontend is fully differential, so I can wire the car stereo so it doesn't feed any current into the coaxial low-level cable shielding, my main concern is with the cmrr capability versus the nature of the common mode-noise I can expect due to this arrangement.
Old 2nd February 2009, 02:56 AM   #2
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Considering that the typical PSRR of UcD is 65dB, forget even about regulation. It's all a big waste of time.

Powering CPUs (or just charging batteries) would be a different story.

Hide this!Advertise here!