NCD1 problems: No blue led blinking at startup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What source file did you use for testing - CD audio rip? /cdl

I use FLAC or WAV from my own EAC rippings - which are the best rips I have found so far.

I believe the X-fi internally resamples 44.1khz to 48 or 96khz, like other Creative cards do, could that be the reason for bad music performance? For some Creative cards it is possible to disable the resampling in software, but not my Audigy2 ZS, so it isn't very good for 41khz audio, but for movies (48khz / 96khz) I feel that the sound is OK. The obvious over-emphasis on the bass area doesn't matter so much for movies either./cdl

Yes I think it is possible to turn it to 44,1 and turn it off (i can hardly remember 2 years back) but it doesn´t help. Even if the Creative X-fi Elite Pro uses the same 24bit 192 kHz DAC-processor for channel 1 and 2 as the EMU 1616M card it seems that the rest of the implementation is not as good as in the EMU card.

Apart from EMU cards, I only found a few M-audio and Turtle Beach that would do true 44.1khz playback AND multichannel. However, they were either total overkill (pricewise too), or didn't do 96khz / 24-bit playback. :(

BUT - just checked the specs of the EMU1616M (VERY nice soundcard, my comments on clicks/DC earlier were because I was thinking of the cheaper EMUs w/o breakout box - yours should be great). Anyway, the spec say that it has 6 analog outputs??? Won't it let you do 5.1...? A question of software, maybe? /cdl

Well, it should be possible to use this card with a 5/1 channel setup in the Patch Mix software that comes with the card according to the manual. But I have this far not eve bothered to try as the Patch Mix software look 10 times as nice as it actually is. It is 100% user hostile. I ha from the beginning an idea of connecting VHS, external CD player, the PC-TV card etc as input to this card but I just gave up as none without an master degree in nuclear engineering (which my wife and doesn´t have) would be albe to shift from on input to another. Another software mixer to this card would be a GREAT thing from Creative - then they would be able to sell this card in thousands.

If not, for multichannel I guess we're down to:
  • using an inferior soundcard, or
  • the easy solution - SPDIF to an external decoder in a reciever, or
  • use the capability of the Creative cards to output 3 distinct 2-channel SPDIF streams, i.e. one for main speakers, one for surround, and one for center/sub - 3 DACs needed :mad:. For a while I considered building 2 extra DACs to play with this, until I found out about the 44khz issue. I don't know how it works for AC-3/DTS :confused: but if the resampling issue can be bypassed on the newer cards, that still might be an option.
/cdl

Agree with You here, but it´s sad - or maybe someone with more spare time than me could overcome the PAatch Mix hill and explain how this should be done and still be able to play from internal Foobar2000 f ex.

For anyone with loads of time: http://www.emu.com/support/files/storage/1616PCI-EN.pdf

I suspect you have a ground loop that's creating ripple across Lars' numerous ground lift resistors under load, thereby triggering the protection repeatedly and causing repetitive load dumps.

I'd tell you more about it but it seems to not be allowed. Good luck anyway.

After a 2567 km trip to Holsterbro and back i have no a working amp - at least it was working when I left Holsterbro. Had a long day with Lars and Brenda i their workshop with my HTPC, my fourwinned balanced silver signal cables, my fourtwinned speaker cables and my dual mono NCD1 with a new and fresh module instead of the last burned one.

We checked everything with instrument and an oscilloscope and found everything in order. Nothing found that could be strange at all. Maybe maybe there could be some strange kapacitance in the speaker cables as we found the resonance frequence maybe a little bit low - but that is nothing that was absolutely stated.

Averything was working, playing as loud as the facility (and Brenda) was allowing for hours without any module closing down or burning......

I was confused - and Lars was smiling, he said that he still hasnt burned any modules or speakers. . .

Back at home I haven´t started up the system yet as I want to measure the electrical system in the house for stange voltage in ground or zero. . . There HAS to be something strange here.

Just wanted to keep you posted guys that was engaged in this strange phenomenom.

Congratulations - so far so good!!! Now for certain the amp itself is in good condition!! I will say that Lars does provide good customer service (Lars when are you coming to CPH to check out my EMI problem ;) )
Anyway, now I just hope you find the source of your trouble when you get home - if not I guess you will just have to test with disposible speakers maybe high-impedance) for a while. Maybe you have "just" been extremely unfortunate!

Keep us posted - cdl

I might build some speakers with elements from my own little element scrapyard (Gamma VLD12, BB3013, some Philips, Houktone etc) to set up with the amp.

The power in the house is checked and fine 229VAC, no strange power between ground and Zero, no power i ground or zero etc.

The only new thing in the setup is a better cooling plate for the modules in the amp - which was put on down at NewclassD (at no cost - once again thank´s Lars).

So I might set the whole thing up during the weekend - keep Your fingers crossed guys....

BTW - Does anyone know how to 1) get cones & surrounding for a Thiel C220 element that my Ncd1 smashed, 2) get the element fixed and/or 3) buy a new C220 for a reasonable price? It seems impossible to do any of theese in Sweden?

Maybe check for "stray" DC between null and ground, and DC on the AC line as well? You might want to consider an el cheapo power conditioner with DC trap and surge supressor, I have used one of these for years Br 505 og Br 507 - Netstøjsfiltre. - just an idea.

There are some companies in DK that do speaker repair... don't know whether they can handle a Thiel or such extensive repairs though, but let me see if I can come up with a name. Any chances of picking up a used element somewhere? Maybe Ebay?

/cdl

Apart from NCD, does lars also offer EMI detection services at homes of his customers?:eek:

Well he was speaking about it at one point ;)
CDL: Let me know how it plays out.

I just checked our stock and purchase of these EMC kits, and so far we have had a total of 4 requests for them in the history of our company.

I hope it helps, if not, i will move my spectrum analyserr to you on my next visit to Copenhagen.

From http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/88117-ncd-questions-46.html#post1624110

I guess we are only a few people suffering from the EMI problems though. For my part it's very "on-and-off" - yesterday DAB reception was hopeless all day, but today there hasn't been the slightest issue :cloud9:
/cdl

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.