Help needed - Novice PWM Amp - not working - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2009, 01:24 PM   #1
[-_-] is offline [-_-]  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Help needed - Novice PWM Amp - not working

Hi everyone, I should have found this forum earlyer, I am a complete beginner and this forum is populated by very knolegable people so much that I can barely undersand the gergon.

I recently purchased a PWM + SMPS from http://www.cadaudio.dk.

The board is a D1000ASW Digital Amplifier + SMPS, the board can be seen from this link http://www.cadaudio.dk/pwmaudio_en.htm

I say I should have found this forum earlier because there has been already some bad press about the company and mr karsten madsen

CAD AUDIO DK
Røjlevej 8
DK - 5935 Bagenkop
Denmark
Phone/Fax:
(+45) 38 33 40 48
E-mail :
km_cad@yahoo.com

however I can only accuse them of providing no after sale customer support at all, as I have tried to contact mr k madsen for a month now and I have received no reply to emails, and no one answer the telephone.

The fact is that I have damaged the board myself by a stupid mistake, so at the end of the day I dont know if the board ever worked at all, but I shall assume it did, so now I have to try and fix it.

All I have understood of this is that, if I was pluggin in 240V and a balanced audio input signal at one end, a 1Kw would have come out at the other end, and it sounded quite amazing that I could do that with a mere 600 grams.

Any way, cutting al long story short, I have connected the board, but I forgot to plug in an additional module, which it was like a termination board that nested into a soket on the main board.

Power up and BANG! a little condenser went off, and it took with it also a tiny little plastic component just few millimiters across.

Now the little condenser has no number on it and I dont know what the other component is and were to find a replacement.

Also i dont know if my mishandling also caused other damages, but despite all, the rest seems to be ok at least apparently

I attach a pdf with pics of the components if someone could give me some advice on how to solve the situation it would be great, but I would not mind to pay someone and get the job done as well by someone more qualified than me, so please get in touch.

[-_-]
Attached Images
File Type: gif components.gif (82.4 KB, 770 views)
Old 31st January 2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Your descriptions don't give us a lot to go on. The link you have posted to the site does not work. It is possible that the board you forgot to connect was to convert ac to dc and you have applied ac to the board and hence the bang and smoke!

The top photo looks like it is a diode, but I can't identify the other item. You need to post more pics of the damaged board, and the board you did not fit.
Old 1st February 2009, 04:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default more pics

OK I will try my best...

here some more pics:

this is the whole AMP

I also have hi res images which allow zooming in quite a bit, but I guess I will have to post them off list as are too large files, let me know if you need them
Attached Images
File Type: gif whole_amp.gif (65.2 KB, 699 views)
Old 1st February 2009, 04:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default more pics 2

here you can see the board I did not fit when I powered up.

on the board it actually says 500W feedback controller
Attached Images
File Type: gif 500w_feedback_controller.gif (61.9 KB, 681 views)
Old 1st February 2009, 04:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default more pics 3

another pic of the feedback controller
Attached Images
File Type: gif controller_board.gif (49.0 KB, 603 views)
Old 1st February 2009, 04:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default more pics 4

Component location

This marked in red is the location were the capacitor and the other component were soldered, you can still see the pins of the condenser (1 and 2) and the empty space of the other component (3)

the small gif I uploading probably wont show much details
Attached Images
File Type: gif components_location.gif (48.7 KB, 610 views)
Old 1st February 2009, 04:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default more pics 4

here the capacitor, no number on it, I can only say is it has a base of 5mm diameter and is 11.5 mm long
Attached Images
File Type: gif capacitor.gif (50.4 KB, 523 views)
Old 1st February 2009, 04:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default more pics 6

here the small diode or whatever it is, I dont know if the size means anything but it measure 2.97 X 1.35 X 0.95 mm
Attached Images
File Type: gif component.gif (24.8 KB, 472 views)
Old 1st February 2009, 04:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default manual

and finally, the manual with all the other infos can be downloaded from the company website http://www.cadaudio.dk/

the amp is the CAD D1000ASW - 1000W/4 ohms PWM amplifier + SMPS

I waiting for your reply...
Old 1st February 2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately the pics are too small to see properly. You can load larger pictures if you use photobucket and use the IMG link to direct link to the photo. Like so.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!